2.0 hp pump for above ground Pool?

Sep 15, 2013
Hello, we have a HP 1.5 pump. Should we go to a 2.0? And I really thought I would just stick to the Hi Flo name brand since it has lasted for over 3 yrs. Don't know about other brands. Any suggestions? BTW I forgot to add to my profile that it is a salt water above ground pool as well. Thanks in advance! :lol:

zea3

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Expert
Jul 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
Hi, welcome to TFP! Usually we recommend a 1.0 hp pump or a 2 speed pump for a pool the size of yours. Is there a reason you are considering a stronger pump?

Sep 15, 2013
Thanks for the fast response. Our pump just went out, so I need to get my hands on one pretty fast. Have been looking online to purchase one.

linen

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Expert
Jul 30, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
I agree with zea, for your pool I would go with a 3/4 to 1 hp 2-speed such as the pentair dynamo, or the hayward matrix.

What is wrong with your current pump? Does the motor not start?

pwrstrk

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Expert
Aug 18, 2012
Elverson Pa.
Another vote for 1 hp 2 speed. I have a Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1 hp 2 speed. It's plenty of pump for my pool.

1 you'll save money on electric with a 2 speed running on low speed most of the time for general filtration. Youl'll also get better filtration on low as your moving the water thru the filter slower. You can use high speed for better skimmer action and for mixing chem's after you add them and for vacuuming.