1st Pool- Thoughts and Reassurance

TEwing

Mar 10, 2021
Scurry, Tx
Hi Y’all,

(Sorry, kinda long)
I am so excited that this life long dream is in the final planning stages!

I have no IDEA what I am doing and don’t want my excitement to get in the way or cause me to miss something, especially critical things in the design, price, contract and construction!

1st, it’s really hard to get a PB to come out to my area! That being said I contacted 4. The one that I chose does all phases of the pool build with in-house employees so the pool is complete start to finish in 6-8 weeks, can start in 3 weeks (no permit requirements) and is a top rated pool builder in Dallas and surrounding areas (I live an he southeast of Dallas). BUT, it has taken me about 3 months to get the funds moved around to pay cash for this very expensive pool! I have stayed in constant contact with the PB and they knew that I was working on getting cash so that I didn’t have to finance the project! NOW, that I have everything financially finished, the PB wants to increase the price by about $3000!
UGH! Not sure what to do, eat the increase or start over!

I have attached everything (hopefully I blacked out the PB on everything) in hopes that someone will give me some ideas and or direction!
Also, I decided to go with the larger pool and the quote (I am still waiting for him to send it to me with the new pricing) will be about $85k 😖😬 with 7 tons of rock and only 3 less expensive lights!

I have also requested a complete equipment list!
EDITED: Equipment list is attached at the bottom in the photos.

Thoughts? What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for any response

Attachments

• DC186CB3-00F7-4735-A2D6-2EC04986F0E1.jpeg
    DC186CB3-00F7-4735-A2D6-2EC04986F0E1.jpeg
    176 KB · Views: 74
  • 42BAB5EB-51BD-40A0-8DD0-48E507949E18.jpeg
    42BAB5EB-51BD-40A0-8DD0-48E507949E18.jpeg
    155.7 KB · Views: 79
  • 414A6F9B-2259-4694-B9D5-2D7E70DF0874.jpeg
    414A6F9B-2259-4694-B9D5-2D7E70DF0874.jpeg
    203.9 KB · Views: 89
  • BBB2E5AE-CB47-46B4-B2A9-7EDC2EF27CFA.jpeg
    BBB2E5AE-CB47-46B4-B2A9-7EDC2EF27CFA.jpeg
    167.8 KB · Views: 74
  • AA73D7B1-D663-42AF-8546-81F541A034AE.jpeg
    AA73D7B1-D663-42AF-8546-81F541A034AE.jpeg
    74.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 0E6AD3BF-8DEB-4EB2-9EAC-A36ABBF9DC1E.jpeg
    0E6AD3BF-8DEB-4EB2-9EAC-A36ABBF9DC1E.jpeg
    383.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 6225DAC3-750E-4A47-92F7-95BE23B3CB4B.jpeg
    6225DAC3-750E-4A47-92F7-95BE23B3CB4B.jpeg
    161.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 65A8DE60-50AC-47C2-81AE-0FF59E41465E.jpeg
    65A8DE60-50AC-47C2-81AE-0FF59E41465E.jpeg
    129.6 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Is the builder citing anything specific to cause the price increase? I'm not really surprised that it did go up, materials costs alone have skyrocketed in many segments. But I am curious if there was a specific reason for this increase.

Is the builder citing anything specific to cause the price increase? I'm not really surprised that it did go up, materials costs alone have skyrocketed in many segments. But I am curious if there was a specific reason for this increase.
General increase due to COVID-19 and since construction prices have increased!
But, in my area, construction prices are coming down some!

Just in general, any contractor's quote should say "estimate is good for 30 days" or similar. After that, there's no telling. With the way everything has been going up lately, that is no surprise at all and 3k doesn't really seem that bad. We're building a new house and our framing cost alone went up $33k since we signed back in december! And that is after the 25% that the builder sucked up, per their contract.

Reactions: TEwing
The only thing that really jumps out at me is the suction based vacuum system with booster pump. This is very old school, as the newer electric robots are more efficient and perform better. Otherwise, it looks like Jandy equipment, at least for the lights. I'd verify that they're the new nicheless watercolors. If that's the case, 3 should be bright enough for that size. They priced the salt system upgrade, which is a good call. You'll want it to be rated for double your estimated volume. You'll also likely want to go with cartridge style filter system. It looks like you already asked for a full equipment list, so you'll probably get more/additional comments once that is available. The 2 skimmers and 4 returns are good based on the size. Overall, this looks like it will be a very nice build!

so the pool is complete start to finish in 6-8 weeks

This is a pretty aggressive timeline and based on other builds currently going in the area and material shortages this timeline will most likely increase.. My builder is using in house employees, as well, for most work as well and quoted me a dig date in Nov-Dec and completion 12-14 weeks after that.

Here’s what they just sent me for the equipment list
CV 580 Cartridge Filter
Jandy 1.85 VS ePump
Aqupure Salt System
C-M-P Powerclean Chlorinator (VS)
Jandy IQ904P Controller
Polaris TR 28 P and PBSQ Booster
2 Equipment Pads
2 Paraskims
2 Hydrocool Lights
300 Watt Transformer
Basic Tools

This is a pretty aggressive timeline and based on other builds currently going in the area and material shortages this timeline will most likely increase.. My builder is using in house employees, as well, for most work as well and quoted me a dig date in Nov-Dec and completion 12-14 weeks after that.
I am sure that it will take a little longer but there are no permits or anything else to wait on. Today when I decided to go back to the larger pool, he told me that I was as set for them to dig in 2 weeks but he had to pull me from the dig list and it would now be 3 weeks or so! 😣. Not sure why he pulled me from the list, just want to go a little bigger!

The only thing that really jumps out at me is the suction based vacuum system with booster pump. This is very old school, as the newer electric robots are more efficient and perform better. Otherwise, it looks like Jandy equipment, at least for the lights. I'd verify that they're the new nicheless watercolors. If that's the case, 3 should be bright enough for that size. They priced the salt system upgrade, which is a good call. You'll want it to be rated for double your estimated volume. You'll also likely want to go with cartridge style filter system. It looks like you already asked for a full equipment list, so you'll probably get more/additional comments once that is available. The 2 skimmers and 4 returns are good based on the size. Overall, this looks like it will be a very nice build!
Thank you, just nervous and probably need to stay off the internet 🤣
There’s SO many horror stories, I just don’t want to be one of them 😣

Also, not that it will make a ton of difference, the PB is in Waxahachie but has built other pools in my very small area

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I hate to be a negative Nancy but there's no way he's going to stick to his stated timelines. Be careful not to "front load" the payment schedule so he has an incentive to keep to schedule and complete the job before his final payment (10%).
It’s ok, I know that going in. I just wish that there were stipulated timelines and could deduct $$ if it went to far past deadlines, barring unforeseen circumstances like weather or proven shortages or something like that. The PB will charge me $500 for any changes that I make, I just would like to see it go both ways, like in commercial construction.
But I haven’t heard of any that will put that in a contract!

One of the things I liked about the builder I chose was how upfront he was about timelines being very fluid right now. He set expectations up front that any timeline is a guess at best and delays will happen, he can't be sure which ones, but prepped me for them.

Reactions: TEwing
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.