1st pool start up after remodel or new construction-construction debris in the lines

Oct 13, 2012
Dallas, Texas
We're nearing the end of our pool remodel. There is small gravel/stones and dirt in the bottom of the skimmer lines (under the baskets) and small rocks in the pool and spa drains.

I asked the PB why they didn't block off the lines (like with a sponge) during the remodel, he said, "we'll clean all that out".

I'm worried that it all won't get cleaned out properly and be sucked in / through my new pool equipment, possibly causing damage or even shortening the life of the equipment.

Are these valid concerns? What do other PBs do? I'd like to see the lines flushed out prior to start up. Your thoughts?

Ideally, they should've been careful to protect drains or other openings from debris. Just like the old saying, "Do NOT drop that air cleaner wingnut down the carburetor!" :hammer: Well, if they say they'll get it, give them that opportunity and simply keep a watchful eye on the process. They may try to vacuum, or they might elect to push water (without the pump) one way or the other to get the lines clean. So there are a couple options. If for some reason there is any residual debris in the lines after their cleaning, the pump strainer basket should catch it. I would try to be present though when the time for clean-up comes so you are comfortable with the outcome.

Chris,

I agree with Pat...

Even if they don't clean it all up, the likelihood of any real damage is remote. Anything that gets past the pump basket will pass right through the pump and be caught by the filter.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.