Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What did I just put in my pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

What did I just put in my pool?

So my Green pool was bleached gray and I filtered and filtered and filtered... but I was not getting the job done. Then I found this bottle of Sink & Sweep.... It worked, the dead stuff dropped like a rock and I vacuumed it out into the street. Pool looks awesome. But what was it and is it bad for me or my water =]

LINK:: Sink & Sweep [http://www.chemtura.com/mp/v/index.j...extfmt=default]
    -inBamaNow

16x32 Hydra Liner, Hayward 24" Pro Sand Filter, WhisperFlo 1HP Pump, Hayward CL200, AquaChem Test Kit =[

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What did I just put in my pool?

It's just a flocculant so won't do any harm. A flocculant consolidates particles and settles them to the bottom of the pool where you can vacuum to waste. A clarifier also consolidates particles, but not enough to settle and instead gets caught in the filter so that it can be backwashed. Such products are normally not needed, but if regular shocking and circulation/filtration isn't clearing a pool, then these products can accelerate such clearing (at extra cost, of course).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

I suspect it's highly toxic and will peel the skin off anyone who gets in the pool.

Who knows what's in it?

I did some serious searching and can't find an MSDS for that stuff. Chemtura will send you one if you email them, but their search feature doesn't work at the moment. Not very reassuring, if you ask me. What if a kid drinks some? Or the dog laps water out of the pool?

Why put something in the pool if you don't know what it will do? Would you ingest pills someone sold you without knowing what's in them? The time to ask is before you start pouring.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

We will... We will floc you...
    -inBamaNow

16x32 Hydra Liner, Hayward 24" Pro Sand Filter, WhisperFlo 1HP Pump, Hayward CL200, AquaChem Test Kit =[

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by inbamanow
    We will... We will floc you...

Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Would you ingest pills someone sold you without knowing what's in them?
    I wouldn't buy them unless I knew what was in them!!
    24,480gal True L. 1.0HP pump. Sta-Rite Cristal-flo T240BP1 with a WC112-147/148 multiport.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by deadrabbit
    How I survived college is a miracle!
    CaryB
    36 x 18 IG vinyl, 25K, 1 HP pump, sand filter
    1 skimmer, 2 returns, no main drain
    Old school: PoolSolutions test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by ivyleager
    Quote Originally Posted by deadrabbit
    How I survived college is a miracle!

This post was what we call on another forum...'a spew alert'...in other words, there's now coffee all over my computer screen...

Backyard pool-less, but used to be.....
    16,100 gallon, 18x38 3.5 ft deep oval AG, Vinyl, Sand, 1hp pump
    http://www.poolservicestech.com Liquidator
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/
    http://www.tftestkits.net TFT100 test kit