New Owner of Old Pool... Answers as available..

saraiks

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Fremont, CA
I am buying a house with an IG pool. I was trying to come up with a list of Questions that I need to ask the previous owners to help better understand the setup and history..

Here's what I came up with:

1. When was the pool put in ?
2. Has it ever been replastered ?
3. What kind of chemical's have you used ?
4. Do you have a test history available ?
5. Any major pool maintenance done ?
6. When was the filter last replaced ?
7. What hours do you run your pump/filters for ?
8. Any known issues ?

Plase feel free to add to the list :-D

I would also ask:

Any manuals available?
Did you ever use a pool service?
If so, which one? and a contact?
Would you mind going over the operation of your pool before leaving?
Do you know how many gallons of water are in the pool?

I am sure others will add more. Good luck with the purchase and keep us posted.
Welcome to TFP!!!!!!!

You're a little smarter than me. We just bought a house with an inground pool and prodded for information about the pool maintenance but never got anything. We got the ole, we'll come back in the spring to help you open it up. Ya Right!

I grew up around pools, and found this sight before I moved in, so fortunately I haven't had any issues yet and have learned everything I need to know over at the pool forum. So far smooth sailing. Although it would of been nice to know that instead of repairing a pipe leak, they decided to run new pvc piping to the skimmer and returns and they were only buried about two inches under the ground where we decided to put some landscaping. One throw of the pick axe (tough dirt) and I found them. Ooops!

I have no idea how old anything is, so you are smart to find out as much as possible.

The one thing we did do, is require the seller to include the pool and equipment in the home warranty to cover any issues within that first year. You might consider having them add that.

Good luck!

Riles

Some Answers

Here's the info I got from the current owners:

1. When was the pool put in ?

2. Has it ever been replastered ?
No

3. What kind of chemical's have you used ?
3" Chlorine Tablets, Muriartic acid, and Leslie's pool shock (Dry Bleach ?)

4. Do you have a test history available ?
No

5. Any major pool maintenance done ?
No.

6. When was the filter last replaced ?
Early this year

7. What hours do you run your pump/filters for ?
4 Hrs daily

8. Any known issues ?
Problems with TA being high most of the time.

9. How many Gallons ?

10. Manuals ?
None

11. Test Kit ?
Leslie's comb kit

12. Pool Service ?
None

13. Pool Maintenance routine ?
Vaccum twice a week, occasionally use Aquabot, shock once a week, clean filter skimmer etc once a week, pump is not self priming so watch out if you drain the filter... has an extra pump and plumbing for the polaris which is not being used as the owner moved to aquabot..

14. Test Results..

Tested on the spot by current owner.
FC > 3.0 ppm
TA 210

Next Steps ....hmmm.

1. Order a test Kit right away..
2. Test the water once I get there..
3. Due to prolonged tablet use CYA might be way to high..
4. Work on the chemistry..
5. Enjoy the pool...

Well, they were not neglectful. It sounds like they had a reasonable handle on things and it equally sounds like your thoroughness is gonna' give you a big leg up when you take over.

The Alk is easy to fix....not to worry. I'd say you'll find some little issues but they seem to have done a pretty decent job.

We all hope you'll come back to the forum when you start to care for your pool. I have obvious self-interest but a good kit is a life saver, particularly in your situation. The TF-100 and the Taylor K-2006 are both worth the up front investment.

How does the water look?

The water looks great. The plaster has some blue spotting due to metal (Cu) issues with the heater. But overall the pool is in a good shape with no major issues.

The self interest is welcome (I just ordered the TF-100). :wink:

Sounds like you've got a great head start on your new pool. The previous owners looked to be some good consciences pool owners.

You're doing a great job so far :) congrats on your new house...and the new pool :goodjob:

dan

Re: Some Answers

saraiks said:

10. Manuals ?
None

You're fortunate that many manuals can be found online. Just need to go out to the equipment pad and search for brand tags and model numbers.

On a side note, it always amazes me how many homesellers leave almost nothing except the keys for the new owners.

dawndenise said:
saraiks said:

10. Manuals ?
None

You're fortunate that many manuals can be found online. Just need to go out to the equipment pad and search for brand tags and model numbers.

On a side note, it always amazes me how many homesellers leave almost nothing except the keys for the new owners.

you kidding me, i got a ton of stuff when i bought this house, they left me with a kitchen table, all the manuals for the pool and appliances,new ac units, new roof, new windows, new floors, plus they were the 1st and only owners, so they new everything that went on in this house, and told me that the pump and filter are old (1987) and will probable need some updating in the future, they still run, but i read EVERYWARE that pools put in during the 80's had undersized filters, and pumps, so im just going to get a large flow filter and an intelliflo and get the best of both worlds.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Rollin Thunder said:
you kidding me, i got a ton of stuff when i bought this house...

Vince, you are indeed fortunate to have had such gracious homesellers. IMO, that's what every homeseller needs to do - pass along manuals, diagrams, contractor lists, landscape plans, extra paint that's labeled by room, extra roof shingles, extra ceramic tile, carpet remnants, wallpaper remnants, etc.

But my experience in real estate has shown me that the majority of homeowners have their hands full with the move and often do not leave any information or samples for the next owners. If you're lucky, you might get a few cans of unlabeled paint left in the garage. That's more a case of the movers not moving hazardous materials (paint) than the sellers trying to be helpful to the new owners. :wink:

When we were looking for a house to buy a couple of years ago, I was amazed that in every case of a house with a pool, we found absolutely no information about the pool. I certainly didn't expect the manuals and test logs to be left out when we came looking, but we found no information as to the age of the pool, pool builder, finish type, dimensions, or anything else. I blame the listing agents for that lack of information and marketing oversight, but the owners should have pressed their agents to make more information available than "inground pool."

ok, we have only bought and sold 3 houses, (still trying to sell the 3rd one though:cry: ), anyway were must have gotten very lucky, they left us 3 cases of shingles, a box of every tile used in the house, the warranty info on all the things they put in, and they showed me how to use the pool and sent me a pro to also show me, so i could get the basic stuff down, although we painted they still left us with marked paint, and because we didn't put a contingent offer on the house they gave us a gift card to bestbuy to build a home media room up stairs, wasn't that nice.

now im not saying every buyer is like this (i wish), but most people are like this now. what could they do with only one box of tile that wont work in their new house. but we sure could use it.

Rollin Thunder said:
...they gave us a gift card to bestbuy to build a home media room up stairs, wasn't that nice

Sure was. When we moved in, the previous owners left us $10 to get a new toilet paper holder because they broke one on their way out and didn't have time to replace it. I think I like your sellers better... :lol:

dawndenise said:
Rollin Thunder said:
...they gave us a gift card to bestbuy to build a home media room up stairs, wasn't that nice

Sure was. When we moved in, the previous owners left us $10 to get a new toilet paper holder because they broke one on their way out and didn't have time to replace it. I think I like your sellers better... :lol:

well if i wasn't able to talk the wife into no contigent offer we wouldn't be here and would still be in our old house, but by then we probably would have just remodeled the old house, but that would be a PITA, becuase the house is from 1950 and has all origonal everything except appliaces, floors and roof.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.