Crazy idea?

Apr 18, 2010
Early on in the life of my pool the tile grout emitted white streaks that I am pretty sure is calcium dissolved out of the grout. Didn't know about CH or CSI back then. I now estimate that the water had a very negative CSI back then.

I see that the proper way to clean this is full drain/acid wash. I've tried straight pumice stone. It gets the heavy stuff and the streaks down the faces of the tile but the grout still looks white-ish.

So here's my idea. Since an acid wash is a spray consisting of MA, what if I dip a pumice stone in 14.5% MA and then scrub the grout (with gloves, eye protection, etc). Then rinse. Would that work? What are the risks?

It probably won't work. I imagine what you experienced is effluoresence where the deposits are transmitted to the surface from within the mortar and then, when the moisture that brought them there evaporates, they are left on the surface of the masonry.

You may very well clean it with muriatic but I doubt you could stop the process since it is from within the mortar.

You might post your question on Johnbridge.com. I think thats the best tile forum on the net and they may provide a better solution.

Thanks duraliegh,

I remember JohnBridge.com! They are like TFP but for tile. I spent a lot of time there about 10 years ago when we tiled our floors. Great suggestion.

I was theorizing that the process is now stopped because I have balanced water and even pretty high CH - 510 ppm - now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.