Help me decide on a new cleaner for AGP

Ogre

Apr 11, 2010
I have a 24' above ground pool that is 4' deep all around. I have two 40-50 trees (one maple) that drop stuff into the pool all season long.

Currently, I have a lady bug (no clue who made it as it came with the house, but it looks like a lady bug_ side suction cleaner that runs for about 5 minutes and stalls usually because my filter is clogged. I have to empty the filter and start again. This makes cleaning a chore for me.

I would prefer to have an independent unit to clean the pool with its own filter. I have a budget of up to $750 for the cleaner. I have seen a lot of recommendations for the pool rover jr. Are there any others to look into or is this the standard for an AGP.

Thanks in advance
Scott

I haven't heard too much about the Robo Clean units one way or another except with regard to them not working in cold water, such as when you open for the spring. They apparently slow down or do not operate at all once the temp is below some level like 70 or something. I don't know the exact particulars.

What I do know is the reason I specifically chose our PR Jr is that it DOES operate just as well in 50 degree water as it does in 80 degree. We often have issues in the spring at opening with pollen/tree drop and pine needles, twigs, etc. We like that we can use the PRJ in that really cold water to clear up that mess even before the water level is topped off up to the skimmer so the pump is not even operating and we are able to get our bottom nice and clean. The bag also gets that really fine silt and any algae. Our spring temps can be very cool at night so it is often a while before the water temps get up there but being able to keep it clean with this unit makes me feel a lot better.

Jr and the regular model are made to work best on flat bottom AG pools with some slight depth differences, ripples or foot prints. If there are steep depth variations, such as a deep end AG pools or IG pools then the Plus model for IG pools is recommended. Both the Jr and regular model have a 40' cord.

INYO pools has info on their site that states the following: "We spoke with Aqua Products the manufacture of the Pool Rover and Pool Rover Jr. and they stated the only difference between these 2 cleaners is cosmetic differences on the body of the cleaner. Aqua Products told us that both cleaners will function identically." http://www.inyopools.com/Products/07800005031460.htm

The Plus model is intended for AG or IG pools so that depth may be dealt with and has a 51' cord.

I can tell you I just got my pool roover jr and I'm in love with it. It arrived thursday. I ran it once thursday night. then my daughter ran it on Friday once in the morning and again in the afternoon. Then I ran it on Saturday morning. Sunday I did a manual to waste as I had alot of fine stuff on the floor. Pool looks really great now. I can't wait to allow jr to do all the work this summer.

TNBandmom said:
I can tell you I just got my pool roover jr and I'm in love with it. It arrived thursday. I ran it once thursday night. then my daughter ran it on Friday once in the morning and again in the afternoon. Then I ran it on Saturday morning. Sunday I did a manual to waste as I had alot of fine stuff on the floor. Pool looks really great now. I can't wait to allow jr to do all the work this summer.

You got me so excited reading your experience with this, I jumped on Ebay to see if I could find maybe a used one since I can't afford a new one right now, and found one new never opened for $200 shipped. Can't wait to get it and hope I have good success like you :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You got me so excited reading your experience with this, I jumped on Ebay to see if I could find maybe a used one since I can't afford a new one right now, and found one new never opened for $200 shipped. Can't wait to get it and hope I have good success like you :)

Yeah! :cheers: I'm digging this. My daughter beat me home today so she's already put jr in the pool. We had a pretty good rain all day yesterday so this morning there was quiet a bit of leaves, pine needles and these other pine things we get this time of the year. I just went out and checked as I was going to try to put together a video for the other poster and see if I could post that. Jr's almost got the pool clean. Now I just need it to quit all this raining on weekends and these cold snaps so I can actually get in and sleep/read on my float.

sorry I posted here a bit too late..I have a robokleen and my neighbor has the newer superrobokleen...they BOTH work just fine in cold water....I've had mine running once a day this spring in 47-60 degree water with o problems whatsoever. My neighbor..the same. They are excellent units, that pick up fine fine sediment and large leaves, acorns and pine needles..I am VERY happy with mine...and it's super easy to clean, and it's lightweight unlike other pool robots.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.