Plugged main drain and SWG

jond76

Jun 10, 2009
Houston, Tx
My pool runs fine, but to day I discovered my main drain doesn't pull any water.

I don't have separate skimmer/main drain control, just pool/spa valves. If I cut off the spas drain, it seems only the pool skimmers(2) will suck water until they are faster than the water coming into them. At that point the cartridge filters pressure will plummet to 0 and there will be a little air coming into the pump. Switch the valve back to both and I guess the spas main drain opens up and the filter pressure returns.

Anyway! I'm aware that not having a main drain is not a huge deal. But my concern is this: I'm converting to salt water, will the circulation be enough to move the salt water around efficiently?
I have 3 returns in the deep end(3 in the shallow), if get some directional jets for the deep end returns to blow downwards will that be enough?

Thanks!

I put this in the Pumping Station section but maybe here is better.
Topics merged. Please only ask questions in one place. Thanks JasonLion

I just realized today that my main drains don't have suction. I don't have seperate skimmer/main valves, just pool/spa valves. I turned the valve completely to pool and when the skimmers catch up to the water, the filter psi slowly starts to sink to 0. Once I open up the spa main drain it all returns to normal.

So, no main drain. I guess that's ok. But I'm switching to SWG and dumped the salt in. I'm just curious if the water will circulate enough with just the skimmers. Should I get some return jets for the deep end returns to angle the water down and help mix things up?

Thoughts? Thanks!

You should aim one return down towards the bottom of the deep end, just to make sure you are getting good mixing at all depths.

Check your skimmer(s) underneath the skimmer basket and see if there are two pipes instead of one. If you have a skimmer with two pipes in it, the main drain is plumbed to the skimmer.

I see. There is two pipes in the skimmer at the deep end. So in theory, I could use my vacuuming hose to connect the two pipes to see if the main drain in not clogged, yes?

I will adust two of the three returns to shoot down. Thanks for the tips!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.