CH from the returns

coog61

Nov 6, 2009
Richmond, TX
With the temps in SE Texas reaching 90F, I have just started getting CH flakes from the returns.
My chemistry today:
CL 1.0
Ph 7.7
TA 100
CYA 70
CH 440
Salt 3000

I have been struggling with hardness (fill water is 130 ppm). When the CH was 450 in March, I replaced 40% of the water. Pool will be one year old in July.

I checked the chlorinator today and it looked clean. Only some buildup on the ends, which I washed off.

Any ideas on keeping the CH down (don't want to drain my pool every quarter) and reducing the flakes.

Thanks

Instead of trying to lower the CH, you could instead lower your TA down to 70 ppm which might be easier to do. You could also consider using 50 ppm Borates in the pool as an additional pH buffer (so will keep the pH from rising as much near the SWG plate).

Your Free Chlorine (FC) level is too low at 1 ppm. With a CYA of 70 ppm, it should be no lower than 3 ppm.

If you are using borax and acid to add borates, I would give it four hours to mix after the final addition, then check the PH. If the PH is between 7.2 and 7.8 then you are good to swim.

If you are using boric acid, you just need to wait half an hour.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.