Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CH from the returns

1. Back To Top    #1

CH from the returns

With the temps in SE Texas reaching 90F, I have just started getting CH flakes from the returns.
    My chemistry today:
    CL 1.0
    Ph 7.7
    TA 100
    CYA 70
    CH 440
    Salt 3000

I have been struggling with hardness (fill water is 130 ppm). When the CH was 450 in March, I replaced 40% of the water. Pool will be one year old in July.

I checked the chlorinator today and it looked clean. Only some buildup on the ends, which I washed off.

Any ideas on keeping the CH down (don't want to drain my pool every quarter) and reducing the flakes.

Thanks
    17,500 Gallon, SWG 33' x 21' freeform w/ Sunstone Cobalt Plaster. Attached 6 X 6 Spa raised 12" w/ 6 Jets with Moss Rock Spillover. 25' Moss Rock Waterfall. Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 for Pool, 2 HP Whisperflo for Waterfall, Pentair Clean & Clear Cartridge 320, Pentair 400K BTU Max-E-Therm heater, Pentair Intellichor, Pentair EasyTouch 4P, Pentair Legend Platinum Cleaner w/ 3/4 hp pump, autofill system, nat gas fire pit. BBB convert

http://www.troublefreepool.com/new-tx-pool-t17907.html

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CH from the returns

Instead of trying to lower the CH, you could instead lower your TA down to 70 ppm which might be easier to do. You could also consider using 50 ppm Borates in the pool as an additional pH buffer (so will keep the pH from rising as much near the SWG plate).

Your Free Chlorine (FC) level is too low at 1 ppm. With a CYA of 70 ppm, it should be no lower than 3 ppm.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

I plan to add Borates. I undestand the pool needs to run 48 hrs after adding Borax and acid.
    But, how soon can we get back into the pool?
    17,500 Gallon, SWG 33' x 21' freeform w/ Sunstone Cobalt Plaster. Attached 6 X 6 Spa raised 12" w/ 6 Jets with Moss Rock Spillover. 25' Moss Rock Waterfall. Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 for Pool, 2 HP Whisperflo for Waterfall, Pentair Clean & Clear Cartridge 320, Pentair 400K BTU Max-E-Therm heater, Pentair Intellichor, Pentair EasyTouch 4P, Pentair Legend Platinum Cleaner w/ 3/4 hp pump, autofill system, nat gas fire pit. BBB convert

http://www.troublefreepool.com/new-tx-pool-t17907.html

4. Back To Top    #4

If you are using borax and acid to add borates, I would give it four hours to mix after the final addition, then check the PH. If the PH is between 7.2 and 7.8 then you are good to swim.

If you are using boric acid, you just need to wait half an hour.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School