Pump/filter problem?

Jun 8, 2008
Just opening the pool this spring. When I turn on the pump, the pump basket is not filling all the way and the return flow back into the pool is very weak. Checked the hoses and everything seems tight. I put lubricant on the o-ring of the pump basket lid. Any other suggestions or thoughts as to what might be the problem or what to check? Thanks! Got tons of bleach in the pool, but no filter to get the gunk out now. :(

Thanks,

Erin

Thanks for the ideas. At first, I thought that the problem was that the filter needed backwashed, so I tried that with the same results. Water came out of the backwash hose at about half of the normal pressure. We also took apart the hose between pool and pump and there is no blockage there. Any other thoughts??

Have you checked the impeller? Make sure there is no debris in it and that it spins freely. Do you have more than 1 skimmer or return, do you have a main drain at the bottom? If so were they all plugged for the winter? Is your sand loose or has it compacted down inside the filter?

What is an impeller? How do I know if the sand is too settled, and if that is the problem, what is the solution? This is our first time opening the pool with the sand filter since we just got the filter last summer. AG pool with only one skimmer. Hubby drained the filter in the fall by taking off the drain plug at the bottom - is there anything we needed to do before just refilling it this spring? Does this help?

The impeller is the part of the pump that actually moves the water. To check the impeller, open up the pump strainer basket, remove the strainer basket, and check down at the bottom (and everywhere else you can reach) to see if there is any debris you can remove.

I wouldn't worry too much about the sand just at the moment.

What is your filter pressure?

JasonLion -

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!! That was exactly the problem! There were pieces of leaves and "helicopters" in there jamming it up - it is working perfectly now. Once again, this site is so much better than any pool store. I was on the phone with them twice yesterday for a long time and they said it HAD to be an air leak somewhere.

Sincerely,

Erin

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.