First Season cleaning up the swamp

May 8, 2010
Hi all, first post here, just wanted to say hi, and share my experiances thus far.

I bought the home in Feburary, I never asked when the last time the pool was used but after taking the mesh top off I assume its been atleast 2 years. I first siphoned out about just down tot he floor of the shallow end, and refilled with fresh tap water just to make myself feel like I was doing somtihng. I took a sample to the pool store and they gave me a sack of stuff to get my TA up a bit, and 4 gals of liquid 12%. I added and retested the following week, Chlorine was down arround 0 so we added 4 moore and it started to stabilize a bit and the water cleared up somewhat. I'm still waiting on some parts so I can vac the floor it seems to have a good bit of blackish crud down there. Ever since I've been adding some clorox from BJ's weekly to keep the levels up until I can give it a good cleaning. Is there anything I'm missing, or any recommendations given the info below? I've got some time yet to get it right, it supposed to snow tomorrow.

Anyway here are my current numbers (Taylor k-2006)
(This is my first test I've done with this kit)

PH 7.1
FC 4
CC .2
TA 160-170
CH 90 (This may be a bit off, as I was adding swirling a little bit spilled)
CYA 0

When I get a few minutes I'll post up some progress photos.

If you can scoop crud off the bottom with a leaf rake or other net, that would help, until the vac is operational.

CYA 0 means you're losing a lot of chlorine to sunlight, if you can get that up into the 20-30 range then more of the chlorine will be used up on the organic matter.

So you have a pool store that gave you liquid chlorine to start with? That's unusually good. Sounds like you can keep them!
--paulr

I was pretty surprised after hearing all the horror stories about being pool stored, these guys seep pretty straight forward folks, the 12% was 11 bucks for 4 gallons, unfortunately it was last years stock after I looked at the dates on the bottles but oh well. So far the stuff they sold me was cheaper than the BJ's/Sams Club equivelent

The only thing they sold me last week that I question is a bottle of clarifier, granted its was relatively cheap, it seems that might be jumping the gun until I can get it vac'd out a bit.

It looks like they try to make money on their pattio furniture They have 8pc sets that cost as much an AG pool. :shock:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.