Pump/motor problem

Nov 16, 2009
Fort Gibson, OK
Hello to this great forum! I have searched this board for what seemed like related problems to what I am experiancing, and I believe I have found possible solutions, but I thought I would relate them and see if anyone thought different.

Just opened the pool this past week, and after removing the cover and refilling the pool with water to the correct level, attempted to start the pump. The motor hummed for a few seconds and quit. Afraid my motor had fried, I decided to pull the motor and see if I could get it to reset. The motor had seized, but with not much effort I was able to free it. I looked over the motor and after not finding a "reset" button, decided to wire it back up and see if it would run laying on the sidewalk...it did. I reassembled the pump, and and upon restarting the motor began screaming. I shut it off and restarted and it eventually quieted somewhat after a minute or so.

The problem now is, as I have read other posts with similar problems, the pump basket "pot" is not full of water. I do have a leak on the 3 way valve before the intake of the pump and am going to replace it, but used duct tape to hopefully seal off the suction leak. That did help as I went from about 3 psi to about 12. Normal pressure is about 20, and I am still getting a lot of air in my returns and it doesn't matter if I isolate the skimmer or the bottom drain.

I am thinking I need to replace the pump motor bearings. Am I right? Should I assume the air in my returns is cause by the leaking valve and just isn't sealed well enough? Or is my pump laying down be causing part or all of that problem?

Welcome to TFP!

The air in the returns is surely the air leak at the 3-way valve.

Yes, that sure sounds like a bearing problem. You can probably make it another season if you want to before replacing them. That would let you take care of it over next winter.

Thanks for the replies! I found another crack in a pipe elbow as well. I think maybe I need to do a better job of winterizing....I guess since I will have to replace some of the pieces, I may as well just replace it all. Anyone know where you can buy those Jandy 3-way valves for less than a fortune? $50?!!!!??? Does anyone use anything else? What about just a PVC ball valve?...wouldn't that work?

If you don't mind using eBay I have seen them for $35 + shipping. There are also some fairly similar Pentair "lube free" valves that are sometimes available around $30.

I would stay away from ball valves, especially since you only need one. They are much more likely to have problems and most of them can't be serviced at all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.