Need Some Advice

Just opened up my pool a couple of days ago and noticed it was green so I shocked it kill the algae. Also, using my TFT 100 test kit recorded a CYA in excess of 100. Used the drain/fill method to reduce the CYA. Now that the pool is up and running (20 hours) the water is still cloudy - realize it needs to run for several day to clear it up.

Pool is fiberglass and is 10K gallons.

Plan to use the BBB method, previously used 3" tabs (Trichloro) + Borax and baking soda.

The the test results from today are:

FC .25
CC .5
TC .75
pH 6.8
T/A 160
CH 80
CYA 70
Temp 66 F

My initial estimate for the amount of water replaced to reduce the CYA was 50 so I guess the initial reading was much higher than 100 as indicated from my current test.

My question is - where do I begin?

Should I try to reduce the CYA and then adjust the FC and pH or is the CYA good enough for now?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

BTW, TFP is a great resource for pool management and the pool store method seems contradicting in many ways - store just wants to sell chemicals.

Thanks,
Paul

Welcome to TFP!

You could probably drain a little more, say 1/3, and then fill it back up. See where your CYA is at that point. Getting a result of 100 ppm on a CYA test means that your CYA is at least 100 but could be higher. You discovered that yours was higher than that.

After draining 1/3 and refilling, check pH, CYA, and your chlorine. If your pH is still low, raise it to at least 7.2 and then shock your pool with bleach as the chlorine source. Use the Chlorine CYA Chart to figure the shock level. This should help your water to clear. Once your FC holds overnight and your water is clear, then we can work on the rest of the needs that you have.

Go ahead and put your pool specs in a signature line under your profile. That way, we can see what sort of equipment you have to work with. We ask that signatures be limited to five lines of text so folks don't have to scroll too much when reading posts. :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.