Fiber Clear

I had no problem with it. I used it my 1st season & my wife used DE for many years prior & then switched to it for a few years before I took over.
I had a small issue with it using it in a SAND filter which is not what you are asking about.

I can believe they push it as it would be less shipping cost for them.

It wastes away nicely in the grass vs. DE (biodegradable)

I don't know if it actually cost less in the long run. I've used it since last fall in my old 36 sq ft filter and now my new Pentair Quad 80. I have always needed to backwash frequently as "tons" of very small stuff, some < one micron go into my pool constantly. It is smaller than silt even and composed of clay and chalk dust. It states that you will backwash less often. But in my case I'm having to backwash more frequently as it is so good at catching the extremely fine stuff. The clay micro particles stick to the cellulose very firmly. It takes a lot of extra backwashing to get it to release from my Quad 80 cartridges (Quads use cartridges instead of grids). I think it released a little better from the vertical, curved grids but it still took more backwashing time to release than DE)

It does filter better AND the reason I switched is because I was putting so much DE into my enviornment; loads of silica mixing and blowing around in my already windy, dusty environment. Some of my dust is finer than even DE and has some of the qualities, like sapping moisture from your skin. At least my native dust is not silica.

What I consider adequate backwash time, using DE, is doubled or trippled to clear the clay and cellulose off the grids/cartridges. Starting with tomorrows backwash I'm putting my water back into the pool using a backwash Slime Bag.

I will continue using the cellulose for many reasons. Better for the environment, filters better, and there is nothing harmfull to breath in. Cost is less important to me than the mentioned reasons.

Now.............. most people (almost all people) will not have the unique, huge amounts of clay dust that needs to be filtered out that I have. As mentioned the clay dust is very sticky. Last backwash I opened the Quad to do a better cleaning than a backwash provides. I was amazed at the amount of cellulose and clay dust still clinging to the cartridges.

I did take some pictures but won't have time till next week to post them.

If you have a "normal" environment and need better filtering or have other reasons to avoid DE I would say give it a try.

One thing to keep in mind though..... when switching between DE and cellulose the grids have to be cleaned very well prior to switching.

I'm sticking with it even though it is more hassle, in some ways than using DE.

gg=alice

I've been using Fiber Clear for about a year and I have been very happy with it. It filters out the fine particles better, and is easier to carry out to the pool since it is so much lighter. My DE filter isn't set up to back wash, so I take it apart every time I need to clean the grids. When I am good and stay on top of my chlorine levels I can go up to 8 weeks before I need to clean the grids. (If I could be a good girl more than 8 weeks it could be longer between cleanings :oops: ) The only issue I have noticed with it is that although I use the recommended amount of Fiber Clear, it is less dense than DE so the water has less resistance going through the filter. My pump is way over sized for the pool and I end up with a nice, river-like current going around in a circle.

geekgranny said:
Starting with tomorrows backwash I'm putting my water back into the pool using a backwash Slime Bag.

Please explain this more. I've seen the slime bag advertised, but how are you going to get the water back in the pool easily?

edit - ok, I found a site that shows it in use so I see how it works now. I was thinking it would just attach to the backwash port on the filter and was wondering how to get the water gushing through it back in the pool.

so do you think it will catch all debri so it doesn't put it back in the pool?

EDIT - Pictures and YouTube added below.

I used two Slime Bags, during the winter and into spring, attached to two submersible pumps. Before our Big Freeze I closed down the pumping station and emptied all equipment. The pumping station is several feet below the pool. As I then purchased a new pump and filter, a bit later, I cut the old equipment out but it was some time before I had the new pump and filter put in. I was going to do it myself but decided to let my "Favorite Most Trusted" pool guy do it. The filter had to be moved from under the deck, several feet from pad and on a step going down the hill, for vertical clearance. I'm glad he did it as it was more of a job than I figured it would be.

First off, keeping the water circulating, with the pumps, allowed me to keep the chem all in line. I had done the AA treatment for stains and much calcium scaling began to release from the wall and bottom, contrary to what people say, " AA treatment doesn't take care of scaling." We'll in my case, I used good amounts of sequestrate all winter, and tons of calcium were releasing into my water in addition to the constant blown in silt, sand, powder from clay and chalk. The bags collected an amazing amount of fine stuff but some went through when I disturbed the bag. All winter I was also using Aquabot, with fine filtering bags, so I got to see what was being caught in the Slime Bags when I changed out the Aquabot bags several times a day. It seemed the more stuff that collected in the Slime Bags, the better they filtered up to a certain point.

There was so much stuff in the water, light tan to white, it took my oversized new filter, using Fiber Clear, about two weeks to get everything out, filtering 24/7, flows set to run either ~16 gpm or ~36 gpm. I slowed it down after someone suggested that it might filter better at a lower flow. That was a lot of stuff.

Two things:

About the Slime Bags for returning water to pool. On both of my filters, the waste pipe, that sends water down my hill to the woods, was/is 1.5". A standard vacuum hose, as shown on the Slime Bag site, will not fit on that pipe, even with some jury rigging. So I did not use it for my last backwash. Solution is to get the rolled "backwash" hose, the slinky one that rolls up into a small diameter, a standard one, and attach it to the waste pipe for a short length and then to the end of the vacuum hose, both ends held in place with a clamp. It was late when I backwashed and I didn't want to go to Walleys so I backwashed into the woods. Which leads me to.......................

I could not get all of the fiber media and clay removed totally via backwashing. I actually used 8" of water and tried gpm from 20 all the way up to 100. :shock: Of course after a few minutes I had to close off skimmer and take water from main drain only. After all that the filter psi only went down 4. The pump, when set for two turnovers a day, normally runs around 300 watts. It is now running over 600 watts to do the same amount of turnovers as before. Great indication that all the gunk is not out of filter.

Last backwash I only ran for a minute and then opened filter to clean the cartridges. It took a lot of time and water to get the gunk off. Up to that when I backwashed for past couple of month the filter pressure would go down to 0 and at highest 5-6, after backwashing. So it seems the filter hit a critical stage with my clay/fiber where it needed opening and cleaning better than I did it the one time. I did go several days after the Intelliflo pump told me to backwash and let the filter go a little bit more than 10 psi rise. That may have contributed to the packing into the cartridge creases. Most of my blown in stuff, right now, except for the plant debris, is clay. It will be more silt as the dogs start stirring stuff up and dragging it into the pool.

I, also, may be putting too much Fiber clear in the Quad filter. I haven't found recommended amounts of Fiber for a Quad filter, only for standard DE filters.

I'm going to be experimenting. I used Fiber Clear last year in my old undersized DE filter, and thought the main problem with increasing frequency of backwashes needed, from once a week to daily right before I drained everything for Big Freeze, was because the top manifold had some broken nubs that keep the grids in line. It may have been, all along, the Fiber Clear mixed with my unique mixture of chalk and clay dust and IMMENCE amounts of it year round.

When my pg put the Quad in I asked him if many of his customers, who have the same chalk and clay powder, but few with the amounts I have, use the Quad. Virtually all the filters out this way are DE because of our powder. He said, "People think they are too much trouble, and I just took out a new one and replaced it with a more standard DE filter." I think I know, now, what he was suggesting.

Anyway, I'm going to try several things, in next few weeks. One thing is that I'm going to continue to use the Fiber Clear. But first, after cleaning the cartridges well, with the brass narrow hose end, use less Fiber to see if that helps. I'll post a picture of what the cartridges looked like after one minute backwash at 60 gpm before I opened it last and thought I had cleaned them well enough.

gg=alice

IMG_3994.jpg

IMG_3995.jpg

IMG_3996.jpg

Some time this week I'm going to backwash for about 5 minutes, putting water back into pool using vac hose and backwash Slime Bag. Then I'll open filter and take picks before doing a really good cleaning. I'm wondering if I need to take the cartridges out to do a dishwasher detergent soak?? Wouldn't hurt. I'm thinking if I do a really good cleaning and soaking of cartridges once a month I may get more time between cleanings.

Another things that might be affecting the cartridges is that the first two weeks of filtering was removing tiny particles of calcium. I wonder if maybe I need to do an acid soak after dishwasher detergent soak.???

[youtube:232x2pxm]G01RaV2qdn4[/youtube:232x2pxm]

geekgranny said:
I don't know if it actually cost less in the long run. I've used it since last fall in my old 36 sq ft filter and now my new Pentair Quad 80. I have always needed to backwash frequently as "tons" of very small stuff, some < one micron go into my pool constantly. It is smaller than silt even and composed of clay and chalk dust. It states that you will backwash less often. But in my case I'm having to backwash more frequently as it is so good at catching the extremely fine stuff. The clay micro particles stick to the cellulose very firmly. It takes a lot of extra backwashing to get it to release from my Quad 80 cartridges (Quads use cartridges instead of grids). I think it released a little better from the vertical, curved grids but it still took more backwashing time to release than DE)
Well, now I'm confused again. Supposedly one of the selling points of cellulose over DE is a more complete clearing of media when backwashing. The rep I spoke to at Zeo actually said that ALL of it rinses away! No caking, no clumping.

But it sounds like your experience with it says the opposite is true. I had talked myself into changing over, now I'm unsure... :?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've got to call Pentair as my pump "computer" is going bonkers on me. I'll ask them about the Quad and cellulose. It may just be the Quad but I had similar symptoms with my Nautilus DE filter. That was using a 36 sq ft filter with a way oversized one speed pump, 2.23 HPSF. I haven't run the Intelliflo VF much beyond 2000 RPM or more than 36 gpm with the big Quad 80 so I doubt that over pressure/flow going to the Quad is the problem. For the first few weeks, just backwashing, my filter psi went down to 1-2 psi, at 18-20 gpm and no more than 6 psi, at 36 gpm, after backwashing.

I may try another brand of cellulose to see how they behave together. Keep in mind it might just be my particular clay powder, and such huge amounts, that is causing the problem.

gg=alice

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.