Clogged DE Filter

Ogre

Apr 11, 2010
I have always had issues with my DE filter maintaining pressure. I tried cleaning last year and still had issues (I am guessing I did not have enough DE). So I cleaned it again this year and started up the pool. Due to a mistake on my part the filter ran for 30-60 minutes without DE. The pressure on my gauge read 22. I loaded 5 lbs of DE using a 1lb scoop and the pressure still said 22.

I took the filter apart again and the following are pictures of what it looked like.

I was just wondering if this is expected? Also, when I went to backwash the filter, no DE came out. Is this normal as well?

The filter is soaking in a filter cleaner as we speak. Any tips on starting it up again?

Note: I have a large algae problem right now and a proper running filter is a must to help me fight it.

[attachment=2:3ulm3rbd]101_0415.jpg[/attachment:3ulm3rbd]
[attachment=0:3ulm3rbd]101_0417.jpg[/attachment:3ulm3rbd]
[attachment=1:3ulm3rbd]101_0416.jpg[/attachment:3ulm3rbd]

Attachments

• 101_0415.jpg
    101_0415.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 142
  • 101_0416.jpg
    101_0416.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 141
  • 101_0417.jpg
    101_0417.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 141
Welcome to TFP!!

Discoloration of the fingers IS a sign of congestion of the fabric, but, if you cleaned them correctly, isn't a problem. :whoot:

You can not "backwash" your EC filter :( Please see this article, from Pool School,

Seems I've gotta write a full description on using a bump filter :) (it surely isn't gonna be tonight :mrgreen: )
Let us know how you cleaned the fingers and we'll get back to you . There are also ways to make a 'finger DE filter' vacuum to 'waste' :cool:

We live to help :angel:

I used the wrong term backwash. I opened the valve and ran the pump per the article, but there was no visible sign of DE. I would love to know how to vacuum to waste with a finger DE filter since I will be attempting this tomorrow to clean out a lot of degraded leaf matter. I am cleaning it using a DE filter cleaner overnight and then will hose it off tomorrow using my pressure washer like attachment for the hose.

Thanks for the quick reply.

My rig for vacuuming to waste without a vacuum to waste port. Take the return fitting out of the pool and bring it with you to the hardware store. Find a 2-3" length of pvc with a male threaded end the same size as your return fitting and a 1.5-2" slip end, a back wash hose, and a screw down band clamp. Attach the backwash hose to the slip end of the pvc and tighten the band clamp enough to hold it secure to the pipe when you give it a good tug. If the loose end of the band clamp is in danger of contacting your liner wrap it with duct tape. Screw the threaded end into the return outlet of the pool, and run the back wash hose over the side of the pool to where ever you want the waste water to flow. Vacuum as usual. Keep an eye on the water level, you may need to top off as you vacuum water out.

So after 1 night of soaking the fingers don't look much different. Any suggestions?

Please see the picks below:

Attachments

• 101_0419.jpg
    101_0419.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 109
  • 101_0421.jpg
    101_0421.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 109
If you are having trouble every year with your pressure getting to high you might want to try using less DE. For that filter I would have only used 1 1/2 of the orange scoops of DE. It's a lot less then they recommend to use but I believe sometimes when you add more it's not coating the fingers any better and just sitting at the bottom of the tank which leads to problems. This is just my opinion by the way.

waste said:
They look much better to me :goodjob:

I think what's left could be removed with a bleach bath. (I'm opening a can of worms with this, but I can deal with it :-D )

LOL, actually I just put it in a bleach bath about 2 hours ago figuring if there was any algae left on it that would kill it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.