Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Clogged DE Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Clogged DE Filter

I have always had issues with my DE filter maintaining pressure. I tried cleaning last year and still had issues (I am guessing I did not have enough DE). So I cleaned it again this year and started up the pool. Due to a mistake on my part the filter ran for 30-60 minutes without DE. The pressure on my gauge read 22. I loaded 5 lbs of DE using a 1lb scoop and the pressure still said 22.

I took the filter apart again and the following are pictures of what it looked like.

I was just wondering if this is expected? Also, when I went to backwash the filter, no DE came out. Is this normal as well?

The filter is soaking in a filter cleaner as we speak. Any tips on starting it up again?

Note: I have a large algae problem right now and a proper running filter is a must to help me fight it.

[attachment=2:3ulm3rbd]101_0415.jpg[/attachment:3ulm3rbd]
    [attachment=0:3ulm3rbd]101_0417.jpg[/attachment:3ulm3rbd]
    [attachment=1:3ulm3rbd]101_0416.jpg[/attachment:3ulm3rbd]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    24' AGP, 13500 gallons. 1 HP Hayward Economy Pump, Hayward 50 GPM DE Filter, ChlorEase SWG.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Clogged DE Filter

Welcome to TFP!!

Discoloration of the fingers IS a sign of congestion of the fabric, but, if you cleaned them correctly, isn't a problem.

You can not "backwash" your EC filter Please see this article, from Pool School,

Seems I've gotta write a full description on using a bump filter (it surely isn't gonna be tonight )
    Let us know how you cleaned the fingers and we'll get back to you . There are also ways to make a 'finger DE filter' vacuum to 'waste'

We live to help
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

I used the wrong term backwash. I opened the valve and ran the pump per the article, but there was no visible sign of DE. I would love to know how to vacuum to waste with a finger DE filter since I will be attempting this tomorrow to clean out a lot of degraded leaf matter. I am cleaning it using a DE filter cleaner overnight and then will hose it off tomorrow using my pressure washer like attachment for the hose.

Thanks for the quick reply.
    24' AGP, 13500 gallons. 1 HP Hayward Economy Pump, Hayward 50 GPM DE Filter, ChlorEase SWG.

4. Back To Top    #4

My rig for vacuuming to waste without a vacuum to waste port. Take the return fitting out of the pool and bring it with you to the hardware store. Find a 2-3" length of pvc with a male threaded end the same size as your return fitting and a 1.5-2" slip end, a back wash hose, and a screw down band clamp. Attach the backwash hose to the slip end of the pvc and tighten the band clamp enough to hold it secure to the pipe when you give it a good tug. If the loose end of the band clamp is in danger of contacting your liner wrap it with duct tape. Screw the threaded end into the return outlet of the pool, and run the back wash hose over the side of the pool to where ever you want the waste water to flow. Vacuum as usual. Keep an eye on the water level, you may need to top off as you vacuum water out.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

So after 1 night of soaking the fingers don't look much different. Any suggestions?

Please see the picks below:
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Back To Top    #6

They look much better to me

I think what's left could be removed with a bleach bath. (I'm opening a can of worms with this, but I can deal with it )
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

If you are having trouble every year with your pressure getting to high you might want to try using less DE. For that filter I would have only used 1 1/2 of the orange scoops of DE. It's a lot less then they recommend to use but I believe sometimes when you add more it's not coating the fingers any better and just sitting at the bottom of the tank which leads to problems. This is just my opinion by the way.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by waste
    They look much better to me

I think what's left could be removed with a bleach bath. (I'm opening a can of worms with this, but I can deal with it )

LOL, actually I just put it in a bleach bath about 2 hours ago figuring if there was any algae left on it that would kill it.