Newbie with test results UPDATED with all tests

May 7, 2010
Dallas, TX
Bought a house with a pool last year and had it re-plastered in February. Want to do a better job with my chemicals than i feel going to the pool store did for me last year.

Going to get a the Leslie's kit tomorrow, but is there anything i should do right now with these readings:
Pool is clear, but not sparkly. Not cloudy at all.

Using Leslie's DPD Deluxe Test Kit
FC and TC- looks to be 0
PH 7.6-8.0
TA - 110

I have an in line cholrinator that you add tablets to. Using the BBB method should i take those out? What about the little floater that has tabs in it for the hot tub that flows into the pool (not currently in right now)

Should I add acid tonight? I have been using dichlor chlorine granuals per the guy who replastered the pool.

Want to get my chemicals unders control ASAP and this website looks great. let me knwo if you need more info...

Pool calc said to add 32 oz MA and 178 oz of 6% bleach. I will wait to get the bleach tomorrow but should i add acid tonight and turn my pump back on?

What else can i do to help?

Thanks!

Re: Newbie with test results from cheap kit (for NOW)

I would just wait until I got the kit and retest with it and use those results. I have compared the OTO kit with the Taylor K-2006 (purchased @ Leslies) and get a FC reading of 3 w/ OTO and a 5 w/ Taylor kit, so the results you have now could be off.
Test w/ Taylor kit and repost with your results and pool info tomorrow.

Re: Newbie with test results from cheap kit (for NOW) Updated

OK here are the test reulsts with the recommended Leslies DPD test kit:

FC - 0
TC - 0
PH 8.0 3 drops to 7.4
TA - 110
CH - 240-250
CYA 40 This test is hard to tell when it exactly disappears. Any tips? It only varied between just over 40 and about 35

1. What are my next steps? Do i need to bring to shock level? I have a little bit of yellowing in the hot tub that flows into the pool. Other than that, nothing too major.
2. Pool calculator says to add 1 qt acid and 178 oz of bleach, and 64 oz of calcium chloride. What is the best calcium Chloride to get? Is there something i can get at home depot or do i have to go to Leslies?

3. What is the best order to add the chemicals? I will re read pool school today, but i can't remember whwen you bring the pool to shock level to test overnight FC loss

4. Do you add the gallons of the hot tub that flows into the pool, or only the pool. Pool is 20,600 and the hot tub hold 700 gallons

Let's call your CYA 40 at this point.

Dichlor adds CYA quickly and trichlor (tablets) add CYA slowly. Either way, by using these you are adding CYA and you are at a point now where you really don't need any more than what you have. I would recommend switching to liquid chlorine or bleach at this point.

For capacity purposes, your hot tub gallons should be included in the pool gallons since the water communicates between the two.

Fix your pH first. Then fix your FC.

Is your CH really 25? I would suspect that your fill water out of the tap has a CH of around 150 ppm in this area. I don't recall the Leslie's kit having a calcium hardness test in it. When buying a test kit, you need to make sure that it tests the following things: FC, CC, pH, CYA, CH, and TA.

We don't recommend the complete DPD kit. That is a Leslie's re-branded K-2005 ; we recommend the K-2006 because it has an FAS-DPD test that can test FC/CC up to 50. Its a drop count test, you add drops to the sample and count until the color changes from pink to clear (it's similar to the TA test in that you are counting drops instead of comparing colors on a chart.)

Raise your FC to your target level tonight, then test the FC after an hour. Record the result - and then test again in the morning. If you lose more than 1ppm overnight, you'll need to shock the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Last I checked, the Leslie's over here by me in Flower Mound didn't have a FAS DPD test for sale. I have heard that some Leslie's locations have had the Taylor K-2006 but not this one. Worth checking I guess.

Butterfly said:
CarrolltonTXPool said:
OK. So can I just test it tonight, see what gets it to 5 and double that since my test kit only goes to 5? Ordering supplemental test kit now.
Are you using Jason't Pool Calculator to calculate doses?

yes. I can use that to get it to 10. But say it falls to 7. I won't be able to tell becaue all my current test will show is that it is over 5. I should have my test kit by wed.

In the mean time you can dilute your pool water sample with chlorine free water 50/50 and multiply the results by 2. That'll allow you to see if it goes below 10. It's less accurate that way but at least usable.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.