ABOVE GROUND POOL BACKFILL

roddbp

Apr 21, 2010
St. Francis,MN
I am looking for some tips regarding the "BACK-FILL" area around the perimeter of the pool.
My pool site required me to remove approx 6" of soil around the back side of the pool and wrapping around to 0" on the front side.
After the pool is set up, I will be faced with the decision of what to fill in between the pool and the 6" ledge of clay.
My first thought is to brace up the edge with a 1"x 6" green treated deck board. Then possible filling in the space around the pool with rock. However, I am thinking 6" of rock is a waste.

Can I back-fill against the pool with sand, poly over the sand, then rock?

Sounds like you have a similar situation as I did, except mine was all the way around. I had used 6 mil plastic under my pool before the liner and let it over hang the pool perimeter about 12". So when I backfilled I ran the plastic up the side of the pool before the dirt/clay was backfilled to help protect the walls and bottom rails. I then went back and trimmed the excess off just below the top of the mulch. Hope this helps

Tim

That sounds like a good idea. I know I have heard some people say that you shouldn't back-fill with dirt, but I really don't like the idea of have decrotive rock 6" deep. It also saves me the expense of buying the 1"X6" green treat.

Well I couldn't see where it was gonna be a problem with mine. Make sure you don't backfill until you have at least 1/2 the water in the pool otherwise the weight/pressure from the dirt could cause the pool/walls to shift. Any questions just ask.

Tim

I had about 12-18" around the perimeter of my AGP after the install last week. The installer recommended I backfill around the pool with the dirt that was removed and have it slope away from the pool. Grass side up if I wanted sod, dirt side up if I want to lay down landscape fabric and mulch with stone. I'm going with the stone. Was planning on doing it this weekend but the weather forecast is for rain, snow, heavy frost and 20-35 mph sustained winds and 60 mph gusts. Last week it was in the 80's and I got a nice tan. Go figure :cry: Anyhow, his logic with the backfill and grading it away from the pool was to help prevent backwashing under the pool and creating a sink hole. The ring around the bottom of my pool is resin so I don't have to worry about it reacting with the soil.

I back filled with sand and placed used brick around. I originally had mulch but it all washed away and the local critters (squirrels and raccoons) kept digging in it. They don't mess with the bricks and my kids aren't tempted to throw them at each other like they would with the rocks.

When we originally did our last (current) pool we backfilled and put the decorative stone down. Soon there were little bits of things growing between the rocks, the tree drop pollen polluted the spaces in between, it was a chore. With small animals in the yard and a shallow well, Roundup was out. We removed the rock and just backfilled the area with gravel and course sand. I can easily rake out the really tough stuff that wants to sprout there and the tree drop sits on top of it to be brushed off easily instead of in between rocks. It's not the fanciest backfill - just plain but we have a nice scalloped landscape brick edging embedded about 3' out all the way around and it looks very tidy.

roddbp said:
As Tim23 mentioned in his post, as far as doing the poly around the perimeter (under the sand and rails).
Does the sand tamp down on the poly firm enough. I'm thinking that the sand would not pack down well.

Its true, the sand was a little more difficult to tamp because it wanted to shift on the poly until we added enough sand. But as long as we had a good heavy 2" or a little more of sand and it was wet down good we didn't have a problem. We used the foam cove and backed it with sand. But like I said with the sand wet it smoothed out well and had no problems. Actually we used 2 layers of 6 mil poly for strength. It was so strong that I felt safe that nothing could grow through the liner, or at least I hope not. We put a thin layer of sand down on the earth before the poly and smoothed it out tamped it, then put down the poly and then the main sand before the liner. I think I have some pics if you would like to see if I can find them.

Tim

I backfilled mine with the dirt. You have to be careful if you backfill with something that will shift. If you ever have to replace the liner and empty the pool and you are backfilled with rock or sand might be at a higher risk for a wall collapse.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.