Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leaky O-ring on Hayward Sand Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Leaky O-ring on Hayward Sand Filter

Help, I have a leak on my Hayward S1700 sand filter. It is the o-ring on the multi port valve part # GM600F which I just replaced and it is still leaking about 1 drop every 1-1/2 seconds. Like I said, I replaced the o-ring and it still leaked, so I removed it again, wiped everything dry and coated the filter body with KY Jelly hopeful to make a seal. Well, it didn't work and it still leaks at the same rate.
    I was wondering if I should get something like a gasket seal compound from an auto store. What do I do? The old ring was intack and looks as good as the new one.

Any suggestions????please....

Thanks
    ff
    Intek 15' diameter X 4'deep 4,800 gallon AG beginner pool, updated with a Hayward sand filter, 60GPM pump. TF-50 Test Kit. Upgraded to TK-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leaky O-ring on Hayward Sand Filter

Hmm, not sure about KY Jelly for pool lube ...I've always used Jack's on my Hayward E200 sand filter O-ring with good results.
    24' Round A/G 14,500 gallons, Hayward HeatPro HPABG Deluxe 60K BTU heat pump, Hayward EC50AC DE filter w/1HP Matrix Pump

3. Back To Top    #3

You want to use a silicone based pool/plumbers lubricant, such as the one InTooDeep suggested. You should also check the o-ring for nicks and cuts.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks, I fixed it using plumbers silicon bought from the plumbing area of my local lowes. cost 3 bucks
    Intek 15' diameter X 4'deep 4,800 gallon AG beginner pool, updated with a Hayward sand filter, 60GPM pump. TF-50 Test Kit. Upgraded to TK-100