Hayward pump leaking from hole on bottom of motor?

bhodge

May 21, 2008
Tucson
So my Hayward Super II Pump is leaking from a hole near the motor end of the pump or where the motor mounts to #13 in the figure. Its hard to tell since its on the bottom. I replaced the housing gasket #5 and that didn't fix it. The impeller ring (#7) is sloppy and there isn't a gasket, just a plastic piece. Is this supposed to have a gasket?. Is there supposed to be a plug in this hole? Or do I have another bad part? What part would it be?

Attachments

• super pump exploded view.JPG
    super pump exploded view.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 494
I've had what sounds like the same problem twice on a Hayward Max-Flow and twice already on a Hayward Super Pump. It sounds like the motor shaft seal (part 9 on your diagram) needs to be replaced.

Good luck with it. I don't know what's going on with them, but I'm having my share of problems with it.

This link might help too.

Disconnect from power.

On back of motor, slide a 7/16's wrench in between the top of the capcitor and in between wires. Use wrench to lock onto shaft by holding it against the shaft and spinning the impeller until it's locked.

Spin impeller counter-clockwise until it's off.

Replace seal.

Reconnect everything in reverse order as above.

Glad you got it back together and it's working great. For future reference. The flat piece goes into the recess in the impeller and the springy part goes against the casing. You should have a white ceramic piece and a black carbon piece.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.