Newbie and of course a question

surgdog

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 23, 2010
Madison, MS
Ok, gang glad to be here. I have a 13500 in grown pool. I have lived here for 5 years and kept the mom and pop pool service who now charge 185/month. I watched their men check the pool recently and this consisted of skimming with a basket, no vacuuming and using a dropper bottle into the pool to decide to put two tri-chlor tablets in the skimmer.

I have been reading everything here and decided to let them go and take it on myself. I got some test strips and chlorox and baking soda and over a week it already looks better.

I just ordered the TLF-100 test kit so I should shortly get better info.

My main basic question is this. I have two pumps but only one is routed through a skimmer. One is an extra for swim jets. Since I have lived here the skimmer pump has run 24 hours 7 days per week. From what I have read here not everyone runs their pumps 24 hours a day. I live in central Mississippi so it is hot and muggy. After I get the chemistry straighten out should I limit the amount of time the pool pump runs?

I appreciate the site and have learned ALOT.

Thanks,

MK

Welcome to TFP MK :wave:

Tell us a little more about your equipment and even post some pics of it if you can.

It seems reasonable that you could run your pump less than 24 hours a day and once you get your levels straightened out we can help you decide how much (if any) you can reduce your run time.

Hi MK and welcome to the forum :wave:

.....thinking of all the things you can buy with $185 per month.....

And, you have already ordered the TF100 kit!
Trust us, it is not difficult to maintain your water chemistry with the proper testing kit. I think you will be pleasantly suprised :-D

You can add your pool and equipment specs in your signature so that they always appear when you post.
Go to User Control Panel (upper left under TFP logo), select profile, then edit signature. :wink:

Congratulations on taking over your pool. :goodjob:

Hopefully you are going to let us see some pics!

[attachment=2:2gc30tjp]IMG_0172.JPG[/attachment:2gc30tjp]
[attachment=1:2gc30tjp]IMG_0171.JPG[/attachment:2gc30tjp]
[attachment=0:2gc30tjp]IMG_0174.JPG[/attachment:2gc30tjp]

Attachments

• IMG_0172.JPG
    IMG_0172.JPG
    184.6 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0171.JPG
    IMG_0171.JPG
    179.8 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0174.JPG
    IMG_0174.JPG
    185 KB · Views: 88
surgdog said:
Ok, gang glad to be here. I have a 13500 in grown pool. I have lived here for 5 years and kept the mom and pop pool service who now charge 185/month. I watched their men check the pool recently and this consisted of skimming with a basket, no vacuuming and using a dropper bottle into the pool to decide to put two tri-chlor tablets in the skimmer.

MK

FYI, if for some reason you must resume tablets (vacation, one day you have to raise CYA, etc), I'm pretty sure we don't want those in the skimmer, can cause pipe damage, esp flex pipe (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Johnny B said:
FYI, if for some reason you must resume tablets (vacation, one day you have to raise CYA, etc), I'm pretty sure we don't want those in the skimmer, can cause pipe damage, esp flex pipe (someone correct me if I'm wrong)
For now with the pump running 24/7 it's okay. If the pump is not on 24/7 then you want to use a chlorinator or floater. (The tabs are very acidic and can damage things if they just sit in unmoving water for too long.)
--paulr

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.