Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie and of course a question

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie and of course a question

Ok, gang glad to be here. I have a 13500 in grown pool. I have lived here for 5 years and kept the mom and pop pool service who now charge 185/month. I watched their men check the pool recently and this consisted of skimming with a basket, no vacuuming and using a dropper bottle into the pool to decide to put two tri-chlor tablets in the skimmer.

I have been reading everything here and decided to let them go and take it on myself. I got some test strips and chlorox and baking soda and over a week it already looks better.

I just ordered the TLF-100 test kit so I should shortly get better info.

My main basic question is this. I have two pumps but only one is routed through a skimmer. One is an extra for swim jets. Since I have lived here the skimmer pump has run 24 hours 7 days per week. From what I have read here not everyone runs their pumps 24 hours a day. I live in central Mississippi so it is hot and muggy. After I get the chemistry straighten out should I limit the amount of time the pool pump runs?

I appreciate the site and have learned ALOT.

Thanks,

MK
    13500 gal in ground. 1.5 HP Hayward pump. Triton Sand Filter. TFP and Pool Calculator. LQ C-201.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie and of course a question

Welcome to TFP MK

Tell us a little more about your equipment and even post some pics of it if you can.

It seems reasonable that you could run your pump less than 24 hours a day and once you get your levels straightened out we can help you decide how much (if any) you can reduce your run time.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi MK and welcome to the forum

.....thinking of all the things you can buy with $185 per month.....

And, you have already ordered the TF100 kit!
    Trust us, it is not difficult to maintain your water chemistry with the proper testing kit. I think you will be pleasantly suprised

You can add your pool and equipment specs in your signature so that they always appear when you post.
    Go to User Control Panel (upper left under TFP logo), select profile, then edit signature.

Congratulations on taking over your pool.

Hopefully you are going to let us see some pics!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok fellas, I give up. How do I post pics of the equipment? I took some with my iphone but can't break the code on how to put them in a reply.

Thanks.
    13500 gal in ground. 1.5 HP Hayward pump. Triton Sand Filter. TFP and Pool Calculator. LQ C-201.

6. Back To Top    #6

[attachment=2:2gc30tjp]IMG_0172.JPG[/attachment:2gc30tjp]
    [attachment=1:2gc30tjp]IMG_0171.JPG[/attachment:2gc30tjp]
    [attachment=0:2gc30tjp]IMG_0174.JPG[/attachment:2gc30tjp]
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Back To Top    #7

Additional pics
    [attachment=1:lc89ybbz]IMG_0173.JPG[/attachment:lc89ybbz]
    [attachment=0:lc89ybbz]IMG_0175.JPG[/attachment:lc89ybbz]
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Back To Top    #8

Pretty - unusual color - what kind of surface is it?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by surgdog
    Ok, gang glad to be here. I have a 13500 in grown pool. I have lived here for 5 years and kept the mom and pop pool service who now charge 185/month. I watched their men check the pool recently and this consisted of skimming with a basket, no vacuuming and using a dropper bottle into the pool to decide to put two tri-chlor tablets in the skimmer.

MK
    FYI, if for some reason you must resume tablets (vacation, one day you have to raise CYA, etc), I'm pretty sure we don't want those in the skimmer, can cause pipe damage, esp flex pipe (someone correct me if I'm wrong)
    19,800 gallons (closed/winter 18,654 gal); plaster; 18x34 Ft kidney bean shape, Depth 3Ft-5Ft. Built 1992
    Pentair Whisper Flow Pump 1HP. Winter safety cover w anchors.
    Sand filter, Pentair Sand Dollar Top Mount Model SD80; Effective Filtration Area 3.5SF
    - FlowRate 75GPM, 8Hr 36,000, 10Hr 45,000, 12Hr 54,000; Pressure Weight 50PSI
    BBB (Hayward Chlorinator when leave town). Polaris 360 cleaner.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny B
    FYI, if for some reason you must resume tablets (vacation, one day you have to raise CYA, etc), I'm pretty sure we don't want those in the skimmer, can cause pipe damage, esp flex pipe (someone correct me if I'm wrong)
    For now with the pump running 24/7 it's okay. If the pump is not on 24/7 then you want to use a chlorinator or floater. (The tabs are very acidic and can damage things if they just sit in unmoving water for too long.)
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks.

In fact I bought a floater today and started using.

12. Back To Top    #12

Hi Mod Squad.

It is a gunite?? (concrete) pool. It has a gray-green finish. It does look green but if you pull some water up in a clear vessel it is clear water.
    I can see the bottom very well.