Just opened-Crystal Clear

Aug 6, 2009
First of all I want to thank you all for helping me close my pool last year and all the help I received while learning to do the BBB method last summer! We just pulled off the cover and got the pump running and it was sparkling! Last year we just shocked it and then put the cover so I was very happy to see no algea. It's funny because my husband was told by the pool store that we need to load it with all kinds of chemicals to keep it clear over the winter! I am glad we did not waste $$$.

I still only have the HTH 6 way test but am planning on getting the TFtest kit soon!

FC 0
pH 7.2
CYA 0 - it didn't get cloudy at all and i filled the test tube before it could even show me anything
TA 170

My husband is on his way to the pool store to get stabilizer because I believe we have to get that raised so the chlorine has a chance to work. We are going to add 415 oz bleach to shock since it is so low. Should I add both the stabilizer and bleach at the same time or wait for the CYA level to raise first?

Also by adding the stabilizer, will that reduce my pH? Should I add some borax too keep my pH up?

Thank you!
Jessi

Congratulations on ordering your TF100 kit!

I think your pH is fine for now. You can retest everything when you get your new kit!

Yep, I agree w/MITS that you add CYA and bleach at the same time.

Welcome back :wave:

Just got my TF 100 today!! I immediately tested everything, I was so excited. Not sure if I should be so excited though. . . Here are my results:
FC .5
CC 10
TC 10.5 (when I did the yellow test, it was a 2)
pH 7.8
TA 230
CH 260
CYA <20 We added some stabilizer last week. I think we added about 3 pounds because I wasn't sure how accurate my test was since the pump was just turned on.

What am I supposed to be able to decipher from these results? I am confused about what all the chlorine tests tell me.

JessiHarri said:
Just got my TF 100 today!! I immediately tested everything, I was so excited. Not sure if I should be so excited though. . . Here are my results:
FC .5
CC 10
TC 10.5 (when I did the yellow test, it was a 2)
pH 7.8
TA 230
CH 260
CYA <20 We added some stabilizer last week. I think we added about 3 pounds because I wasn't sure how accurate my test was since the pump was just turned on.

What am I supposed to be able to decipher from these results? I am confused about what all the chlorine tests tell me.

I think you may have your CC and FC reversed?

You could also pick up an ammonia test at wally-world and test your ammonia levels... the CYA eater puts ammonia in the water, which eats up the chlorine. This would be another way to see if you have that algae.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Repeat the FC/CC test - take your time, make sure you are doing it properly....
If you are adding shock levels of chlorine but having little success getting the FC to hold- then yes, you could very well have an ammonia situation on your hands...

Repeat the TA test, and wipe the tip of the R-009 dropper bottle in between each drop with a damp cloth, to reduce static which could be making the TA read high...

Well, I got the ammonia test strips this morning and it is not showing any ammonia. Last night I added 4 182 oz bottles of bleach and performed the tests before and after.
Here are my results:
Before I added the bleach:
FC 2.5
CC 9
TC 11.5
pH 7.8
T/A200
CYA 20

One hour after I added the bleach:
FC 13.5
CC 2
This morning i checked again and got FC of 4.5 so I added 2 more bottles of bleach. An hour after my FC was actually 2 and I tested it twice because I could not believe it was accurate.
I have since done the ammonia test and bought 8 bottles of bleach. According to poolcalc, I should add 436 oz bleach to get to shock level. If it's not ammonia, could I have mustard algea? The water is very clear but there were a few orangish areas.
I am sorry, I am so confused! I am going to go burn through these 8 bottles of bleach and await your response!! AHHH Why do I have to have problems already?!!

JessiHarri said:
FC 0
pH 7.2
CYA 0 - it didn't get cloudy at all and i filled the test tube before it could even show me anything
TA 170
Once things get circulating, I bet the TA comes down and the pH goes up. If the surface of the pool looks smooth, turn a jet up to get some aeration going on.

Stabilize and Chlorinate, and it'll be swim ready long before it's warm enough to use.

Take your time and try to relax a little :) You are doing just fine. :goodjob: There is a lot to learn, but you don't need to take it all in all at once.

Your CC level is too high. So the correct thing to do is to continue shocking the pool. That means raising the FC level up to between 10 and 15 over and over again until it remains the same overnight and CC is 0.5 or lower.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.