Does this sound right?

Apr 27, 2010
Hi,
I ordered my testing kit today, did a strip test this morning.

PH: in between 7.8-8.4
FC: 0-0.5
ALK: 120
Stabilizer: 0-30/50

Not comfortable with these results that why I ordered the TF-100 XL

I have a 30ft AG, this is my 3rd summer w/ it. 1st year water was perfect. Used "backpacks" from the pool place where we got the pool. @ $20 a piece for the backpack, that had to be replaced every week and a half or so. Also you had to purchase a mineral pack ($100) every season to get the backpack to work correctly... 2nd summer was horrible, never got it to clear up and after spending $400 @ the pool store I decided I wasn't doing that again.

We recently finished the deck around the pool and this year I am determined to get it perfect where we can enjoy it!

Pool has never been covered in the winter, and last year I never got it stable to we pretty much just pulled the pump and filter and let it sit. :evil:

The Pump/Filter has not been reattached yet. We dumped the sand out last year, and it smelled like death. Where can we find filter sand and how much is it?

This year we are green with large island of algae floating around.

Question are as followes:

After pump and filter are reattached do we want to add the stabilizer 1st (granules) let that run for a week then start with the bleach?

Also when I vacuum do I want to run it on backwash until we are all clear of the algae?

I could have swore I remember them telling us @ "Pool School" where we bought the pool that if you have algae and it gets into your sand filter you will have to change your sand because it will just recirculate it into your pool, which to me makes since... but how else are you going to get rid of it?

Lori you need to study pool school on this forum, button on the top right of your screen. The other pool school are talking rubbish. Lots of dirt, algae etc will end up in the sand filter but the chlorine you have in the pool will kill it and then you will backwash it away. sand doesn't really need changing at all, save your money.

Your pool needs PH- so look at the pool calculator in pool school to find out how much. Do that first then add Chlorine up to the shock level and hold it at shock level until the algae is all dead (milky grey looking water) that may take some time but it needs doing. you need to run your pump on filter 24/7 ideally and once the algae is dead you can back wash the filter.
If it is exceptionally green you will need to back wash more frequently, watch the gauge on the filter and look for a rise in the pressure reading.

Go study pool school it will save you a fortune.

First thing is to read "our" (ok, TFP's actually) Pool School, then read it again and learn how to use the Pool Calculator if you don't already know how.

Second, As Teapot said, get some muratic acid (or pH down if you're more comfortable with that) and adjust your pH to about 7.5.

Third, go to the pool store and use them for something they're actually good for. Testing for metals. Since you used a mineral system you probably have copper, but we're going to hope not.

Fourth, the pool store will have filter sand, but you can usually find it at your local big box home improvement store too. Just make sure it says pool filter sand and the grade (usually #20 or 21) is what your filter calls for. No idea about price.

Fifth, Scoop as much gunk out as you can.

Sixth, get your hands on as much bleach or liquid chlorine as you can haul. Wally-World, etc. will have 6% and your pool store may have 10 or 12.5%. Get whichever is the better deal.

Now on to your questions.
1. Don't add stabilizer until you get your test kit and can test for it.

2. The best thing to do is vacuum to "waste". That's a setting on your multiport valve that bypasses the filter and dumps the water straight out of the pool. Be aware that it uses a lot of water that you'll have to replace. You can vacuum while filtering but then you'll have to backwash a lot so the water use will be about the same.

LoriLeeMcD said:
I could have swore I remember them telling us @ "Pool School" where we bought the pool that if you have algae and it gets into your sand filter you will have to change your sand because it will just recirculate it into your pool, which to me makes since... but how else are you going to get rid of it?
What you were told is false. The best thing about a sand filter is the ability to backwash it and remove all the filtered out stuff from it. That includes any dead algae that may have accumulated. Keeping the FC at the proper level kills the algae and it can be cleared from the filter.

Thank you all so much!

I didn't realize that I needed to worry about my PH yet.

Also to correct myself. I meant to ask if I needed to vacuum on WASTE...

So I will wait until next week when I get my new/better testing kit and I will post my TRUE numbers before I do anything.

I have been stocking up on the bleach also, so far I have 7 gallons. I know its hard to tell me w/o knowing my pool but on average... how many gallons do you use in a summer?
Do I need to pick up 7 bottles every time I go to Wal*Mart?

Also I have 3 1lb bags of "conditioner" from the pool store where we purchased our pool. It does not tell me what the % of the active ingrediates are. Should I try these 1st or should I just go get new? I have used these the past 2 years, but I have been using a strip test, so I don't have a very good reading on what it has done in my pool.

And one more question for now, we have a vinal liner and I am wanting to scrub the Crud-ola out of it when we do start the bleaching... what kinds of brush should I get? Like a deck brush or a softer one, can I find them at the Depot or should I order on line?

Thanks again guy!

So quick to respond!

Lori...welcome to TFP...you mentioned "backpacks" do you mean baquacil? Would you happen to know if it was actually a chlorine based product? Also...do not bother with mineral packs...they are not needed. Read pool school, like the folks mentioned...it will help a ton

dmanb2b pretty sure they were just chlorine based.

They were these plastic bottle tube shaped things filled w/ chlorine tabs that you inserted into this contraption that is attached to the filter. The mineral pack I was talking about was inside the contraption attached to the filter. I still have like 8 from last year... well over a $100, kind of makes me ill

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.