Rochester, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Hi, I've been lurking for awhile and this is my first post. We had a 20000 gal inground put in 2 years ago. It is currently on an autofeed trichlor system with 3" pucks. I want to switch to household bleach. I just had my water tested at a pool store and the CYA level came back at 70. I have also invested in a Taylor k-2006 test kit but haven't received it yet. My question is...If my CYA level is actually at 70 and i switch to liquid bleach, will that be the highest the CYA will get? Will it start to diminish with water replacement from filter backwashes, lowering levels after rain storms, splashout etc? Thanks for any help.

Once the pucks you have in there are gone, the CYA will stop rising. I wouldn't throw them away as the pucks are still useful for times when you are away on vacation or other trip (I keep mine for that reason). And yes, CYA will gradually drop over time for the reasons you say.
--paulr

Thanks for the reply's and the welcomes. I am finding this forum a VERY valuable source of pool education. I am really starting to understand what all the #'s mean instead of staring blankly at a printed sheet from the pool company and buying what they tell me to.

When I first found TFP my CYA was over 100. After a few partial drains and refills, I was able to lower it to 70. I got thru the 2007 summer at 70. 2008 I lowered it to 50. In 2009 we had a ton of rain and I actually found myself adding some CYA. :shock:

Again this spring, it's low, around 20 - I've got trichlor in a floater for now..... never thought I'd do that again! :oops:

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.