newbie who needs spa help and a new builder!

ghcpd

May 18, 2007
Hi, This is my 1st post and I really need some help. Long story short-signed contract 9/30/06---started 4 1/2 months late on 5-18-07. So far the have left off the steps next to the spa, left out the leaf/debris trapper system, cut the phone line, run over and broke the skimmer (thats in concrete!) . Also we wanted a grotto with waterfall top-- well after redoing it 4 times they hired an architect!! it's still not going to look like the picture I gave them but they at least made progress. Well 2 months later we have no rock, tile, coping etc. They decided to remove a 4 ft section out of the gunite to fix the steps next to the spa---wonder how long that will take? The problem at hand today is the spa itself. It is flush with the ground on the shallow end of the pool. Problem is the depth. There are no steps in side and the seat is 22 inches below the top (without the rock coping). There's no way I can step in that or anyone else either! When I sit inside my feet don't touch the bottom either. Also it has a spillover notch and judging by the height of it the water will almost hit my chin. If it was a raised spa it wouldn't be as big an issue because you could sit on the edge and step in --but not from the ground. Also the ledge/seat inseide is not really wide enough to add a step. All we can come up with is to cut a section out of it also and put a step outside of the spa area and then another into the spa-- it would just change the shape a little . Also I noticed that all of the jets are close to the seat--is that right? I wouldn't recommend their circles either--very far off. Also I found out today that he is chging me $1500 for a plain aquabot when I can buy the T4 for that much---I sent an email to cancel that and I'll order myself---I think he's screwed up the contract enough to not give me any grief! Any ideas--besides beating him? TIA

Gaye

ff gunite 25X36 with spillover spa, grotto with waterfall

contact a lawyer and also contact your local code board that does the final inspections. You might also want to contact the BBB (but don't expect much fromt them) and the State agency that licenses swimming pool contractors!

I agree fully with waterbear! You may also want to contact a national pool builder in your area, someone large that does everything in-house, ask them via phone if they can provide an unbiased inspection for a small fee. This may provide more insight than the contractors board or code enforcement officials. The board/code departments may look at what is deemed acceptable by code standards, not what is acceptable in the industry. I had a large pool builder come and inspect my build to ensure all looked good with my plumbing subcontractor, I learned a lot from that inspection and thought it was very well worth the time.

You could also ask another pool builder to come and provide a bid to bring your build up to standard, into code and complete it. That should be a free estimate and maybe get a few estimates for a rounded opinion.

Yikes...so sorry for your troubles

First I have to ask... did you ever see a plan/picture of the builders design? If so, did you sign that plan and date it along with the builder?

Second, it all depends on the state in which you live. Here in Texas, there is not a liscense approval by the state...all you need is a pick up truck and a phone to call sub contractors, and you are money.

I would definitely get a lawyer involved. this is a huge investment by you and your family, and it should be done right...please tell us you haven't given him all the money....?

Good luck. Let us know how things progress.

First I have to ask... did you ever see a plan/picture of the builders design? If so, did you sign that plan and date it along with the builder?

We did get pictures but supposedly the grotto can't be portrayed very well on the program --and of course there is no way what they have done can ever look like the picture we gave him--but the rock guy seems to think he can make it work. NO we didn't sign it though.

I talked to him today about the spa and he said "you're supposed to sit on the side and step in". I reminded him that it would be ok if it was raised but it's not!!! He said okay then we can add a step there's plenty of room. I'm not so sure but I guess time will tell. I got angry with him about 5 weeks ago and gave him a deadline of last week but obviously that didn't happen. I told him I wished I had gone with the 1st builder we had settled on before he came along. He told me he didn't really think that there was anyone else in Little Rock that could build that pool. To which I replied " before you came along I would have been perfectly happy with the rectangular vinyl lined one that I wanted-- you talked me into gunite, spa etc!"

And no I haven't given him all the money yet--as a matter of fact I held off 2nd payment until last week--I want him to make adjustments for things not done and he just drags his feet. Promises it will all be credited on the next installment! i'm holding my breath! I'm not paying for the grotto until I get an itemized bill--he already chgd for pumps and plumbing for the waterfall and wants to add $5600 for the rest???? Seems a little steep to me.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.
Gaye

Man...tough situation.

I have friends in Little Rock..one of them a pretty well known home builder (ever hear of Hamilton Construction? Builds a lot in the Heights Area.) I am told that there are not many pool builders in Little Rock to really choose from and that it is a nightmare to build do to all the rock etc. Here in Texas, I think there are more pool builders than you can shake a stick at ( I inquired with 12 and could have spent a year interviewing).

I would really suggest one of two things.

1. Get some legal advice...they will tell you if you have a case or not

2. Call another pool builder and have them come look at your current situation. Maybe you will find one that would be willing to finish your pool at an agreed cost, but they may not be willing to offer any warranties due to the current builders crappy work.

Just a suggestion. Again, good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.