Applying for internal transfers at your job

Mar 17, 2010
Spring, TX
Ok since I graudated I am looking for a job in my field. I have the advantage as we use recruiters at my work and I am able to see the recruiter for that particular job. Do you feel it is professional to email the recruiter to let them know of your interest in the job? I have always been told communication is a good thing and you should always follow up if you can. So I thought this would be a way to get the attention that I am interested. The recruiter seems to be the person for all IT jobs.

Thanks.

You should definitely let them know you are interested in any IT position that might be available. I would make it "light" and let them know of your qualifications and your desire to assist the company in IT development. Depending on the structure of the human resource department, you will still have to formally apply for any position that is available but at least your intentions are known. Any contacts you can develop are a huge plus. Good luck!!

Heck yeah!

My company prefers to transfer from within - you're a known quantity, whereas someone from the outside may be qualified but a jerk and the old employer will say anything to be rid of him. Or say nothing at all because they checked the "do not contact" box like it's some stealth thing.

You start in an entry level job, where they can watch your attendance and attitude and if you actually have any brains, then they move you into something better. Or not. And hope you quit after you see later arrivals pass you by.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.