No basket on pump?

May 7, 2010
Hi,
What a great forum..been reading most of the night and now feel a bit more educated to start tackling my algae ridden AG pool. We are new to pools .. bought this house and didn't really know how to winterize so now we are figuring all this stuff out.

Anyway - my question:

We have a sand filter.."clear master plus" by Artesian; the pump also says Artesian and is a Turbo King 1.5 hp.

I noticed some very similar pumps have a filter basket attached where the water comes in. Mine has a line from the pool straight into the pump...no basket on the pump. Am I somehow missing this part? I have no idea where it would have gone or why the former owners would have removed it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow, so what the heck? I'm guessing you will need to be extra sure no extra junk gets through your skimmer basket! The pump pot basket is usually the "second line of defense" type of back up to catch extra junk that sneaks through. Although we don't have to empty ours too often, it's nice to know it's there to catch something that may have slipped through if the skimmer basket got jarred or tipped. We put a large rock in our skimmer basket to help prevent "floating" and tipping so stuff doesn't slip through. A skimmer sock also helps prevent junk getting to the pump.

I guess that you really and truly just don't have a strainer basket. It doesn't look like anything was removed. That's just how it is.

I guess that you just need to be extra diligent in making sure that your skimmer stays as clean as can be and make sure that the basket stays in there always. Also, if you vacuum the pool using a skimmer plate connection, be sure that the basket is in there. You can also get a leaf trap that you can connect to the vac hose.

Would getting a sock for my strainer in the pool help too? I noticed my strainer basket twists and locks in place so I'll be diligent to make sure it stays latched in now that I'm understanding the setup a little more.

My husband just called me and said a lady took down her pool and is giving away all her pool accessories, vacuum, etc including a barracuda if we take it off her hands. I'm curious to see what all she has!

I'm excited to get going with everything and try the BBB method. I have been reading this site for hours on end.

I'm going to try and do a bigger pic. We are fixing to leave to go get that stuff from the lady. It's everything..pump, sand filter, wedding steps.everything but the pool. So maybe the new pump will work better. I'll give an update when I get home tonight.

Finally got home. Here is what I received:

Barracuda vacuum
Leaf net cover
Regular Vacuum, brush
Wedding stairs (whats the best way to keep it from floating? I'm thinking blocks would be simplest)
Valve setup for output in pool so we don't drain the pool when we are doing other stuff to it.
Various hoses.
5 gallon bucket of 3" chlorine tabs; 5 lbs shock

She was going to take it all to the dump! yea!

And she gave us another Pentair Sand Dollar pump/filter almost like the one we have now but bigger.

The best I can figure is the one we have now is a 19" filter with 1.5hp pump (as pictured) and flow rate of 40gpm.

The new setup is a 22" filter with 2hp pump with flow rate of 60gpm. The new pump does have the filter basket attached.

Trying to figure out if we should switch over to the new setup. Our pool isn't all that big, have to measure again but it's only 18 or 24' across. We had to dump the sand to be able to lift it so we'll have to get some more sand for it if we switch to it.

Any thoughts? I'm not sure how you determine what size filter and pump you should use.

I couldn't find any good test kits in my small city, so I can't get going on BBB until Monday when I can go to a bigger city to bigger stores. Walmart didn't have a 6 way kit so I'm gonna head to the pool stores and try to find the brands recommended here.

Will I have any use ever for the shock or chlorine tabs? I guess maybe I could use the shock if my CYA is low?

I stocked up on clorox tonight! :goodjob:

CardiacMommy,
I have that exact same setup - Artesian Clear Master with Artesian Turbo King pump. Mine has a filter basket attached to it. Here's a pic
IMG_2664.jpg

Would you happen to have any paperwork on the system? I'm a neat freak and I can't find my papers anywhere - no manual, no flyer, no receipt.. nothing. They're all hiding from me :grrrr:

Nope. I did get another turboking with a basket and it's going now..it's a little big 2hp but seems to be working fine. Pentair tells me they no longer have manuals for the turboking. I did find a manual for the sand filter online though..or an almost identical one. They pretty much all seem to work the same way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.