Pump replacement advice needed

twpiv

Jun 3, 2008
New Jersey
I have a 30k gal in ground pool with 2 skimmers, 2 returns, and a main drain in my 8’ deep end. Right now I have a Hayward 244T (300#) filter with a 3/4 hp Centurion pump.

I’d like to replace the pump and would like some suggestions. I was thinking of going with a 1 hp Hayward Super pump. I was thinking of going to 1 hp so that I have the ability to turn over the pool more times per day when I need to. I have a timer and was running the old pump 8-10 hrs per day.

Something else I want to do – and tell me if I’m crazy – is to run a homemade solar water heater off the pump return. I made a proof-of concept panel last year using 150’ of 1/2 sprinkler tubing and it worked very well (but was obviously too small for the pool). This year I was planning on mounting the panels on top of the shed next to my pool. I was going to use 1/2 tubing again, and probably about 500+ ft of coiled tubing. The top of the shed is 7-8’ above the pump.

What do you think? 3/4 vs 1 hp? Enough head pressure to force the water through the solar tubes? Should I use a seperate pump for the solar heater? Thanks for any advice.

A larger pump will use more electricity and not improve anything. I would stick with a 3/4 HP full rated or 1 HP up/max rated pump.

While homemade solar systems will heat the water, they are nowhere near as efficient as the commonly available solar panels. Your best bet is to buy some inexpensive commercial panels and install them yourself. The main pump should be just fine for solar, no need for a separate solar only pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.