Pool Build - California Dreaming - 3 Years Closer

Re: Pool Build - California Dreaming

Thank's Spillmar for your kind words! It makes me proud if something I have done have brought some inspiration to your project.

Those three steps that you have set up with the "bullnose foam" will there be pavers in between those steps? I think that would look great.
To lay the pavers ot the the deck yourself is a good idea, not in a short perspective perhaps:) but in the long run when you sit there in your sun chair and admire the top notch job you have done is it all worth it, atleast that's what I found out last summer.

Great to see that you had a safe flight home from Abu Dhabi Spillmar! Go to bed now it must be late for you since I'm sitting here with my breakfast and I see that you're still online ;-)

Later my friend
Mats

Today we got going on the stone for the raised bond beam. It took some planning but we were able to get the lips of the waterfalls almost invisible in the rock under the coping. I really like how the materials and colors are starting to come together. Here are a couple photos of the stone work so far. The same quartz stone will be used on the columns and the visible face/verticals of the walls and steps.

Attachments

• Nuevas Photos 003.JPG
    Nuevas Photos 003.JPG
    210.6 KB · Views: 581
  • Nuevas Photos 002.JPG
    Nuevas Photos 002.JPG
    234.4 KB · Views: 577
  • Nuevas Photos 001.JPG
    Nuevas Photos 001.JPG
    204.1 KB · Views: 577

After getting several samples from Chinese manufacturers of glass mosaic tile and seeing some very disconcerting variances in quality, I found another tile manufacturer from Spain called Ezarri. The tile is about 40% more expensive, however, the factory is ISO90001 for quality and the iridescent quality is much better and uniform. I also like the fact that the tile is not mesh backed but a new connection system comprised of connected dots.
According to reviews on the web, these tile have much less chance of falling off because they expose a greater amount (92%) of the area of the tile back when mortared into place. I have attached pictures of the blueish Iris Azur tile from Ezarri which I am considering using, plus a picture of the backing so you see what I mean. I would welcome advice from anyone with experience with Ezarri tiles.

Attachments

• IMG918332e11f69f2b2ab90228b7375ec1e.jpg
    IMG918332e11f69f2b2ab90228b7375ec1e.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 548
  • joint_point.jpg
    joint_point.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 545
  • IMGd91ebe6ddf2fdd8018b64c44b5810c76.jpg
    IMGd91ebe6ddf2fdd8018b64c44b5810c76.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 548

I can't remember if I suggested you look at Oceanside Glasstile or not, but they may be an option for you as well. I am meeting with them on the 9th of March, and I can pick up info for you if you wish.

I have been impressed with their product for quite some time, and I am going to be redoing the bench in my spa with their tile. Haven't told Mama yet, so it will be a surprise (she loves the stuff!).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Well it's been raining for the last couple days and we are waiting for good weather to resume with the pool build, particularly the sunken patio retaining wall, the ledger stone on the bond beam and the exterior band of coping and step work. Once that is complete we plan to install all equipment and complete tile and plaster work.

As to the deck, prior to laying down the pavers we will need to get an inspection for equipotential bonding of the deck. Because we are using Pavers we will need to bury a grid of copper wire connected to the pool shell steel at four equidistant points with DB rated brass clamps. The good news is that our county finally is implementing the new NEC guidelines for bonding. This in effect translates to a saving of $1k. Previously a copper grid extending 3 ft from interior of pool shell with crosses at every foot was required. Now a single wire around the perimeter of the pool tied at the four points to the pool shell steel is only required. It is a big deal considering I have almost 250 linear feet of perimeter to bond. According to the inspector the wire has to be at least 4" below grade and buried under the Pavers.

For the laminars coming from the columns I had considered buying Jandy brass lion heads where the water comes out of the lion's mouth. At $300 a piece however it is quite cost prohibitive. Instead I found on eBay concrete molds for everything from rosettes to sunbursts to gargoyles. For $20 in molds and $20 of cement I can now make my own spout decorations. The savings can go into other features like a stone pillar for the outdoor shower. While in Dubai where the architecture is just crazy cool, I did see some very creative decorative features on pools. I am attaching a picture of a column shower I will see about integrating in our project.

Attachments

• IMG_0966.JPG
    IMG_0966.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 517

Btw I had a cocktail at the top of the world tallest building, the Burj Khalifa in Dubai. Absolutely amazing. See the picture below. You thought my pool was big. Check this out !!! Yes that is what a 60 story building looks like from the 123rd floor. Oh, and in the last picture, the huge building on the right is a shopping mall. Dubai also has a mall with an indoor ski slope. See next picture in thread.

The scary thing is that all of the major growth in the area is also actually an indictment on the extent of our dependence on fossil fuels and best illustrates how much of a drain oil imports have become on our economy. Sorry to divert the topic but without getting political it us amazing to see it illustrated in this fashion.

Attachments

• IMG_1034.JPG
    IMG_1034.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 515
  • IMG_1032.JPG
    IMG_1032.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 518
  • IMG_1022.JPG
    IMG_1022.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 510

spillmar said:
...The scary thing is that all of the major growth in the area is also actually an indictment on the extent of our dependence on fossil fuels and best illustrates how much of a drain oil imports have become on our economy....

Amen.

Your pool is coming along beautifully, btw.

Watch what you might say to the inspector about the outdoor shower :shock: They don't look real kindly on them. Legally, they need to go to the sewer, and then they like to try and catch you for another sewer hook up fee :roll:

If you add it after the fact, you can set it up to landscape drainage, since you are just rinsing off. Inspectors seem to think we will be out there with soap and taking full on showers, so they want that to sewer.

Thanks Simi. I have a second sewer hookup already approved and installed for the future pool house. The shower was to have gone to drainage pipe, but with your heads up I will now see about hooking it up to the sewer line. Not a difficult run now that the line to the sewer is nearby.

Today we finished the remaining portion of the raised bond beam. The ledger stone came out very well and will look really nice with the glass tile we are considering. The same quartz ledger stone will be used on the column surrounds as well as all exposed raised areas of the raised spa area retaining wall. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• Fin de piedra 001.JPG
    Fin de piedra 001.JPG
    227.2 KB · Views: 474

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.