Chemical levels

Apr 26, 2010
Plano, TX
In Pool school it says recommended Ph for a plaster pool is 7.5-7.8 and TA 70-90+. But I have read posts saying try to get your PH 7.2.

Our pool is prone to BA so I am wondering if I should lower my PH. My current numbers are:

FC- 15
CC- 0
TC - 15
PH 7.5
TA 120
CH -430
CYA -45

Also I have heard that BA feeds on phosphate. Should I try a phosphate remover for my pool and if so, which one?

Thanks.
Brooke

When everything is stable and going well, it is best to keep the PH between 7.5 and 7.8. On the other hand, PH between 7.2 and 7.8 is fine for swimming. We tend to recommend lowering PH to 7.2 in two situations: When fresh plaster is constantly raising the PH, lowering the PH to 7.2 gives you a little more time between acid additions. And, when your TA is too high, lowering PH to 7.2 instead of 7.5 speeds up the rate at which TA goes down.

Lowering the PH won't help against algae.

Lowering the phosphate level can help prevent algae, but it is often both expensive and troublesome. There is never any need to lower the phosphate level, as there are easier ways to get rid of algae. I doubt that it would help in any meaningful way in your situation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.