Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chemical levels

1. Back To Top    #1

Chemical levels

In Pool school it says recommended Ph for a plaster pool is 7.5-7.8 and TA 70-90+. But I have read posts saying try to get your PH 7.2.

Our pool is prone to BA so I am wondering if I should lower my PH. My current numbers are:

FC- 15
    CC- 0
    TC - 15
    PH 7.5
    TA 120
    CH -430
    CYA -45

Also I have heard that BA feeds on phosphate. Should I try a phosphate remover for my pool and if so, which one?

Thanks.
    Brooke
    Plano, TX
    25,000 Gallons, Plaster, DE Filter, No SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chemical levels

When everything is stable and going well, it is best to keep the PH between 7.5 and 7.8. On the other hand, PH between 7.2 and 7.8 is fine for swimming. We tend to recommend lowering PH to 7.2 in two situations: When fresh plaster is constantly raising the PH, lowering the PH to 7.2 gives you a little more time between acid additions. And, when your TA is too high, lowering PH to 7.2 instead of 7.5 speeds up the rate at which TA goes down.

Lowering the PH won't help against algae.

Lowering the phosphate level can help prevent algae, but it is often both expensive and troublesome. There is never any need to lower the phosphate level, as there are easier ways to get rid of algae. I doubt that it would help in any meaningful way in your situation.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School