Pentair Intelliflo VF vs. Intelliflo VS 3050

poodlegirl

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 28, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA
Hi!
I am in need of a new pool pump. I have a 15,000 galloon pool with no spa. None of my equipment presently is hooked up to timers. I have 1 1/2 pipes, 3/4 hp booster pump with Polaris, Tagleus(?) 60D sand filter, Small Pentair in-line cholrinator, and a Emerson 3/4 pool pump which makes lots of noise and is leaking. The pool pump definitely has to go. I was thinking of getting the Intelliflo VF but didn't know how they would go about connecting my booster pump for the Polaris to come on for a few hours a day. The guy I talked with said he wasn't sure if the warranty for the VF would be validate if we hooked it up that way. Then, I thought maybe the VS3050 with the Easy Touch and that would solve the problem. I would really like the pump to stay on 24/7 with various speeds/flows, etc. I really like the idea of the pump being on 24/7 even if I would have to run it very very low at night. Does anyone have any advice? I was trying to keep the budget under $2,500.00! Thanks!

The main pump needs to be on when the booster pump is on. Other than that, there shouldn't be any interactions or problems between the two pumps. If you actually leave the main pump on 24/7, then you can have the booster pump on whenever you want without any problems. How do you turn on your booster pump currently? Normally you use a timer to turn the booster pump on and off, and wire things so it can only come on if the main pump is also on.

The VF has a fancy timer built-in, but it can't control anything external, nor can it be wired to disable the booster pump when the VF is off if you are using the internal timer.

The simplest thing to do would be to get a VS and a relatively simple digital external timer with two separate controls, so the one timer can control both the main pump and the booster pump (like the Intermatic P1353). This setup would be fairly inexpensive, but would limit you to one speed (unless you manually overrode the speed).

Getting an Easy Touch would give you a lot more flexibility and additional features, but nothing you mentioned actually requires it.

Would using the VS 3050 save me as much on my electric bill as the VF on a 15,000 galloon pool with no features? I was thinking on programming three different speeds: one for during the day, one for when the Polaris is on, and for at night at a really slow speed. That is if I able to get Easy Touch controller.

If you set it up correctly, the VS can save just as much as the VF. The trick is that the flow meter in the VF makes it very easy to setup, while if you have a VS you need to do some calculations/thinking.

Since you don't have any water features, or solar heat, or other special issues, you can save the most money by running the pump at about 1,000 RPM for as long as it needs to do about one turnover. That seems to be the optimum speed for electrical usage per gallon of water moved for most pools. That should also be fast enough to be fine with the booster pump.

Would 1,000 RPM be good for at night too? Or, would I need to dial it down a little for at night. I would really like to run the pump 24/7. I was thinking three different speeds: one for booster pump, one for the rest of the day, and one for at night. Would this be correct? Using three different speeds or are you saying it's best to keep it at one speed? Thanks!

There isn't usually any need to vary the speed in simple situations. The booster pump doesn't need a higher speed, nor does day/night make any difference. A few people have found that they need to bump up the speed for 15 minutes every four to six hours to get the skimmers to work well, but other than that possibility, you might as well run on the most electrically efficient speed.

Hi! I have another question regarding this same issue. Would a SunTouch controller from Pentair control the Intelliflo VS3050? Would it communicate enough for it to change the VS3050 speeds on the pump and turn on and off the pool cleaner?

I really like my new VF. I have, from previous set up, a box with two mechanical timers in it; one for main pump and one for booster. The booster won't run unless the main pump switch is on. So, basically I don't use the main pump switch, other than leaving it on, with all little timer tabs taken off. Then I put the tabs on the booster switch for when I want the Polaris to kick on and off.

The VF will speed up on its own if the Polaris booster pump needs more flow. This protects the main pump and the booster pump. You can set the flow rate to chance several times a day. BTW.... when the filter starts getting time to backwash the VF will alert you to look at the filter. By then it has adjusted the pump speed, usually up, to keep the flow at your set point.

BTW.... I have the Polaris set to come on five times a day, for two hour runs, using the mechanical timer. (Most people don't need that much cleaner run time but I have an extreme environment.) If you want to go with the least expense you could just manually turn on the Polaris. The mechanical timer, actually only one needed (for Polaris), is pretty inexpensive if you want to go that route. You have to make sure that the Polaris timer is set right, time and time for booster to come on and go off. But if you are leaving the main pump on all of the time setting the booster timer intervals is less critical. Just make sure it won't come on when you turn the VF off for whatever reason.

BTW.... there may be another way but when I want to boost the flow just a little or decrease it a little, but keep the VF in auto mode, I increase or decrease the pool volume that you enter into the main setup screen on the VF. I do this mainly when I need to make fine adjustments for the flow to the Pool Skim.

gg=alice

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bump :bump:

Seems I read that if you control the VF with the Suntouch it the VF gives control over to the Suntouch and becomes basically a VS, lacking the automatic flow control. Is this correct?

For now I've stopped using my Polaris 280, due to needed length of time running (minimum 10 hrs/day), to keep the pool clean, so that I can save a bunch on electric cost. The vac Tracker 4X is doing an even better job than the Polaris 280 for the very fine stuff, and less stuff is going to the skimmer sock so that I can get about three days before changing it out as opposed to twice a day when using the Polaris. (nothing does better than 280 for leaves but don't have that problem this time of year) The Tracker only needs to run about 2-3 hours, bumping up the VF flow during the cleaning cycle.

I've been mulling over leaving the VF to its own control and using the Suntouch to control only the actuators for 3-way valves and for the pool light. Basically the Suntouch would open the valve for dedicated suction, and partially or fully restrict the main drain valve, leaving the skimmer as is. Program it to actuate the valves a little before VF ups the flow, and a little after the VF returns to normal filtering flow. At all times the skimmer would be open so if timing gets off there is still flow through the skimmer. AND the VF has built in protection to shut off the pump if it doesn't get enough water.

gg=alice

Hi Again! Just thought I might try my previous post to see if someone might be around to answer my question. I'm back from vacation and ready to purchase some equipment!
What would be the "pros" and "cons" of the SunTouch if I decided to go with the VS3050?
Does the SunTouch replace the breaker box I have now?

The SunTouch can not setup VF modes. A connected VF pump can't do anything that a VS couldn't do when being controlled by a SunTouch.

AC circuit breakers still need to exist somewhere outside the SunTouch box.

Both of these are different on the EasyTouch and IntelliTouch, both of which have a breaker panel area and can control VF pump modes.

The VF features are most useful for setting up the pump with minimal thought. You can achieve the same level of electrical savings with a VS and some calculations, it is just trickier to get everything right.

I still have a few more questions before making my "big" purchase. First of all, I am having a hard time getting any of the pool repair guys on the phone lately. I am trying to figure out if I should just get the Pentair Intelliflo VF for now since it has a timer on it already. Maybe wait until the pool guys are less busy and won't charge me as much to install some controllers. BUT, I am trying to find out if the Pentair Intellifo VF model has more problems than Intelliflo VS 3050. I was
just wondering since there are timers, etc. inside the VF, I am just thinking that the VF may have more of a chance of breaking down. And... I've heard that if the timer goes out in the VF, you have to replace the whole thing.. motor and all. Is this correct?

My other option is just getting the VS 3050 and the Sun Touch. I am trying to go with the cheapest option for now since it's the worst time of the year to have to get a pump replaced.

The chance of failures are about the same on the VS and VF. The differences are minor and don't affect overall reliability.

If the electronics board breaks on an IntelliFlo you have to get Pentair service to replace the electronics board. It is unlikely that anyone else could do it, thought that is starting to change as more and more IntelliFlos are installed. There is no need to replace the motor or pump. Occasionally Pentair service will swap the whole pump and then repair the electronics back at the shop to save time, but they only charge for a board replacement (if it isn't free).

The SunTouch can always be added later.

One more quick question before finally purchasing a pool pump. I think I have decided to go ahead and get just the VS3050 for now and then get the controller (probably the SunTouch) at a later date (maybe in a month or so). I am just having such a hard time finding capable people that actually have time and don't want to charge me $800.00 for installation for both the pump and the controller. My main question is....since I will not have a controller at first....what rpms should I run it at during the day. I know on a previous post someone told me 1000 rpms is about right if I am wanting to run it 24/7. I have just a !5,000 gallon pool, no spa, no special lights, no solar no special features or heaters,etc. I do have a cleaner that needs to be run (Polaris run by a 3/4 hp booster pump-Hayward). I do not have the cleaner hooked to a timer right now. I just do it manually in the afternoons for an hour or so at this time of the season. I can turn up the rpms on a different speed when I get home from work for a few hours for the skimmer until I can get the controls and get them installed. But, up to how much? Or, should I just crank it up a little more during the day to 1200 rpms to help a little more with the skimmers? OR........ should I just forget about the VS3050 and go ahead and get the VF (at least it will have the timer included). The only hesitation about that is.... is that it will need more than the SunTouch to control it right? Doesn't it need the EasyTouch? If so, the EasyTouch is just a little bit more money but will probably be a lot more for installation. Right? I feel like I keep going round and round in circles!

There are a couple of choices, but they aren't really all that complicated.

VS only - inexpensive, you have to adjust speeds and turn it on and off manually.
VS & SunTouch - probably ideal for your situation but more money than the VS alone.
VF only - an easy way to get automation right now, but it will cost you more later if you want to add automation

The ideal way to run the pump is probably going to be around 1000 RPM for 12 to 18 hours a day, with two or three brief periods at a higher RPM. The higher RPM should be determined by watching for the lowest speed that the skimmer is still very effective at, but 2400 RPM is a good starting guess. This is tricky to do without automation or a VF, so you might want to do something simpler, like running at 1600 RPM or so (the lowest speed that gets you some skimming) for 12 hours a day.

All of these speeds need to be tuned for your particular setup, but things should work fairly well just as I listed them.

This discussion has been helpful , thanks to all...

I'm seriously considering buying an Intilliflo VS+ SVRS because it has a built-in timer (absent on the VS) and it doesn't cost as much as the VF. My current pump is controlled by a mechanical timer, and I've heard that Intilliflo pumps are not compatitble with mechanical timers. So to avoid the cost of buying a new controller my thought is go with the VS+ SVRS.

I also have a Polaris booster pump for the sweeper. My question for the readers is whether the VS+ SVRS (without a new controller) is compatible with the Polaris booster (which I plan to continue operating with a mechanical timer).

Thanks for your input.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.