Mechanics of CYA interaction with chlorine

baudilus

Jun 23, 2009
Toms River, NJ
From the information I've gleaned from this forum and a little logical assumption, I understand the basics of the interactions between CYA and chlorine, but I'd like to go deeper.

Basically, CYA bound to chlorine protects it and the possibly the chlorine below it from UV light. But as a chlorine molecule is rendered somewhat inert when it is bound to CYA, how does it kill algae? I read in a post about very high chlorine levels that if the FC level gets low the cya-bound chlorine will continue to kill algae. Water problems with this scenario aside, I surmised that this meant that the chlorine bound to CYA is not completely inert, just slower to the party than free chlorine, and only starts working when it's speedy cousin is no longer in the race. Am I correct?

Secondly, how many CYA molecules does it take bind to a chlorine atom? I suppose I could do the math based on the chart, but I am not sure that relationship is linear.

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.