Wetness under Filter on equipment slab

Apr 15, 2010
Las Vegas
I have a Purex/Triton Nautilus FNS48 DE filter and that SOB loves to leak! It all started when i took it apart to replace the leaking oring on the very bottom of the housing. Put it all back together lubed and everything and i leaked leaked worst then ever Now instead of dripping, i got a small stream of water coming out the bottom. I learned all water leaks can be air leaks when the pump is off and cause a loss of prime IF there are no check valves. They equip. is probaly 6 feet higher than the pool surface and 40 feet or more from the pool. So I feel that the lack of a check valve on each of the 2 return lines was lazy/cheap on the pool builders part.
Soulution: I took apart the filter for the 5th time, used Ultra Copper RTV (auto store) on the bottom oring, and some marine putty aroung the fiberglass/plastic section in the base of the tank on recommendation from Leslies pool and Spa, that area looked rough and there may have been a leak. The "belly" seal always drips a little and the brass hardware for the ring is starting to strip out. Soo lots of Alladin Majic lube and wrench it tight for now.
Well That solved the problem, there is no leak from the bottom i can see ( you have to look into the hole in the black stand with a flashlight). and the basket hold prime over night! The belly ring still weaps a little, and from the stains down the side I would say its been doing this for years! every other time i take it apart it seals nice, then the other time it leaks.
Check valves: So I'm putting in the missing valves, Jandy 2/2.5" ones. THe directions say that there shoud be at least 18" of water down stream from the valve so that there will be significate pressure on the flap to hold seal. Iv'e dug up the area in front of the equip. and found that there are no valves there (a possibilty, they could have been there and bad by now) and kept digging because These valves have windows and are serviceable, so I don't want them under ground. I'm cutting into the pipe as it becomes horizontal and few feet away from the equip slab. I have a nice irrigation box from Lowes (20 bucks) that will make the valves accessable
I will post picks if anyones is interested. Can anyone tell me how to easly upload a 2meg pic? none of my pics will ever be 256k :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.