Harbor Freight 1" Clear Water Pump test and review

Apr 15, 2010
Las Vegas
I bought one of these little pumps a month ago and had to defective exchange it a few days ago. The following is a test of the new one. I don't like the pumps priming issues but if you get it going it moves some water for 40 bucks. Currently on sale for 30 bucks
Link>> http://www.harborfreight.com/1-inch-cle ... -1479.html

Factory Specs from site:
â– 115 foot maximum total lift
â– Maximum capacity: 650 GPH SOme dispute here, The name plate says 330 GPH my test reveiled 400 GPH
â– Compact design with mountable feet
â– 1/2 HP motor
â– Ideal for permanent installations
â– Cast iron construction
110 volt motor
3200 RPM
Weight: 14-1/4 lbs.
Link to factory manual (i tried to upload but it's 750K size prevented me>> http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manual ... 9/1479.pdf

Specs on the housing:
Brand: Pacific Hydrostar
120 v~
60 hz.
1/2 HP
2850 RPM
Max Head Lift (Output) = 115 ft.
Max Suction Lift (intake) = 10 ft.
Capacity: 330 GPH
Item 01479

I used a Kill A Watt EZ for testing Link>> http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical/h_d ... ogId=10053
Their cheap there now! 24.99 lowered from 29.99, some placed charge 39.99-44.99 for the same thing. And YES this is th emore expensive EZ model Look at the dark bezel around the display, thats the EZ.
The difference is you can enter your Kw/hr rate into it and it will calculate cost and show it as a live updating number. SHows cost per day, week, month, year and Total cost since plugged in, using the build in time since pluged in counter. And there are several other measurments.

Test results
Testing voltage: 118
Watts: 395
Volt Amps: 591
Amps: 5.0
Power Factor: .66 <<thats ugly!
operating cost per hr at 10 cents(check your local rates) per Kwh: 3.9 -or- 93.6 cents a day (24 hrs continuous)
Inlet hose: 5 ft. 5/8" garden hose - 6inches lift from pool
Outlet hose: 25ft 5/8" garden hose - 12inch lift into 5 gallon testing bucket
Total lift 1 1/2 ft.
FLOW: .111 gal/sec. or 6.66 gal/min. or 400 GPH

Attachments

• Pacific Hydrostar 1inch Clear Water Pump at Harbor Freight.jpg
    Pacific Hydrostar 1inch Clear Water Pump at Harbor Freight.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 135
  • Kill A Watt EZ.jpg
    Kill A Watt EZ.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 129
Overall it's a cute pump and pumps alot of water out my hose, its quiet without prime. When running and primed properly it makes a med-to-hi pitched matallic sound, kind of anoying. My first one went bad after one use. :cry: Harbor freight is intersting, lots of good deals but the defect rate can be high on some things, still their prices are killer, and a little inconveince is probaly worth it especially in this economy.
Take note it can't run at all with any air in the pump chamber it's particular this way, and the manual specificaly says you will damage the pump if it is run with out priming first. So a check valve is pretty much mandatory unless your water line is above the pump itself. :wave:

I bought one of these last year, for testing purposes only. Have an inground hot tub, who's plumbing was completely cut off. Needed to put some pressure behind it to see if I had any leaks. It did what it needed to do, and we went ahead and hooked the hot tub back up.

HF is good for generics, or one-time use type of things. Zip ties, clamps, etc. If I buy a power tool, or anything else mechanical, I'm convinced that it won't work for continual use.

This little pump has found another job, though. My brother does competitive smoking/barbecuing, and I engineered a setup that involved this pump, an old laundry sink, a used car wash detergent barrel, some PVC, and a shower head. Running water when there isn't any to be had.

I have learned that if you disconnect this pump for a period of time, you better fill up the impeller housing with WD-40, or it will rust solid.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.