Major Help Needed - first time opener - major leaks!!!!!!!!

t6pool

May 3, 2010
Hi all,
This is my second year with a pool and my first time opening. I've had some troubles so far. I cracked my hayward sand filter cap when trying to tighten a leak. Now I realize that I need to grease the new cap when I put it on.... So that's leaking....

Now the big trouble, I have an aquacal heatpump and I just looked at it and it's spraying water from 3 or 4 places. Is there anything that can be done to fix this? Do I need a new heat exchanger? Could I have done this while priming the pump? Any ideas on how to by pass the heat pump for now, I guess, reroute the water for now with some pipes.... I really dont feel comfortable cutting the pipe near the exchanger....

I also replace an autopilot ls1000 with a dig-220 today and that worked OK... I tried reusing the manifold from the ls1000 and it leaked a bit but I got it sealed for now.... I dont know if that will start leaking once the system is fully pressurized after the filter cap and heat exchange problems are corrected.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

I would suggest using a teflon thread sealing PASTE, for all treaded connections it will seal them up nice. If you have leaks at the PVC joints though you need to replace the whole joint and be sure to use a pvc cleaner , followed up by a primer and finally pvc cement.
A nice tip for manafolds is to dry fit everything first and before taking apart use a sharpie to mark a line on each joint so that when its apart you have half the line on each piece. During glue up simply align the marks for perfect alignment every time.
As far as the heater goes I cant really say. did it freeze over the winter? Hope this helps you and welcome to TFP :party:

Thanks coleb! I'll try the paste on the threaded connections.

As far as the heat pump goes, The pool guys drained it last year on closing so I'm not sure how it could have frozen internally. We had a really really rough winter here in Pittsburgh with a ton of snow and cold temps so I'm wondering if the unit still froze... or maybe it was just on it's way out.... I replace a leaking plastic thermocouple well in it last year so who knows.....Does anyone know if you get pool people or hvac people to replace a heat exhanger in a heat pump? Anybody have a rough idea of cost on this? Should I get someone to install a bypass valve for now?

Thanks in advance!

Yup, improper winterization and a freeze break. Repair techs came today and installed the new heat exchanger. I'm up and running now, no leaks, going to shock this evening. I guess they didnt get all of the water out of the exchanger when they closed it.

Thanks

p.s.
nice it see another Pittsburgher on the forum :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.