Test for CC=.5

Mar 17, 2010
Spring, TX
I usually do not test for cc but did today. I got a .5 on my CC. I did just shock the pool last Friday and my chlorine is getting used up very slowly it seems. I shocked to around 15 and when I just tested it was at 4, so like 1.5 or so per day.

So do I need to worry about the CC? I have been swimming the past few days and do not really smell chlorine or my eyes are not burning which is what it says it does in pool school.

Thanks.

Butterfly said:
mynewpool said:
JasonLion said:
As long as CC is 0.5 or less you are fine.

What happens if it goes above the .5?
You should shock your pool.

If you post a full set of test results, we can help you check it out :wink:

My test results are fine, but I was just wondering what would cause the cc so I do not have any cc in the future. I check every now and then and usually it is 0. FC will be high due to shocking when I was gone on the weekends.

Results as of Monday the 3rd.

FC-10 (It is now 5, Shocked to 15 on Thursday night the 04/29)
CC-0 (.5 yesterday)
TC-10
pH-7.5 (lowered to 7.2 as I am trying to lower TA)
TA-150
CH-330
CYA-30-40

Also another question I have, is if you have enough chlorine in your pool when you test at night, should you still add chlorine? Say for example my target is 5 and I test that night and it still shows 5 should I add some chlorine as I use bleach? I would think adding some to bring it up 1 ppm or so would be good, but not sure you could bump it up in such small amounts.

Thanks.

CC is constantly being both created and broken down in any outdoor pool. As soon as some organic debris falls into the water, say some pollen, chlorine starts to break it down. The breakdown process proceeds in two steps. First one chlorine combines with the organics to form CC, and then a second chlorine binds to the CC and breaks it down further. The first reaction, creation of CC, proceeds quite quickly. The second step, breaking down CC, goes more slowly.

When everything is going well, the second step proceeds quickly enough that there is never a significant amount of CC present. But sometimes, when there is too much organic debris or not enough chlorine, the second step slows down enough that you will see CC in the pool. Usually, raising the FC level a little is enough to speed up the second step and make the CC go away.

The goal when adding chlorine, is to add enough that your FC level will still be above your minimum the next time you test FC. If your FC level happens to he high, then you might not need to add any chlorine.

It is perfectly possible to add very small amounts of chlorine, but there usually isn't any need. With CYA around 40, your minimum FC level is 3. 5 is high enough in some pools to insure that FC will still be 3 or higher the next day, but most pools probably require FC around 6 or 7 to insure that FC will be at least 3 24 hours later.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.