Hello, my name is lnlharper. Not really, it's Laura

May 6, 2010
Houston, TX
Hi,

So this is my first post. I am a 39 year old widow with a young son. We are originally from MI but moved to TX after everything happened for the major change (and no memories) it would bring.

I never thought I would own, much less build, a pool. And then I did. We would visit my cousin (lives across the major thoroughfare) and watching the fun that was had in their pool, and not wanting to always use theirs in the 221 degree (okay, I exaggerate a bit sometimes, but only to get a point across) temps here in southern TX, we thought about and then did it. We put in a 15x33 inground, gunite, free design (salt water) with a waterfall and sunbathing bench. And boy it's been fun.

I did the pool school, taking copious notes. How proud can one person be when they make it through the whole summer with smack dab in the middle readings? (yes, I know, it's a salt water pool) With the exception of not realizing those first weeks that they were waiting to put the salt in and we were swimming in fresh water. I also met a great mom and pop pool store owner who helped (and helps) with issues that I have as a new pool owner. I was very frightened, you see, after watching my aunt and uncle struggle with theirs when I was a child in the 70's. It has been easier than I thought (with a few little bumps like not knowing how to backwash my filter and being afraid I'd blow the whole thing up-it's a Jandy never lube and I was afraid to turn it the other way)...because I took them at their word when they said "stay ahead of your water".

The only downside is realizing that in March 75 degrees was too freezing to jump in the pool, when it is perfectly okay to do so in MI.

I have been reading here, and just decided to log in so that I could see everyone's pictures and also tell you what a great job you do in helping those of us out who are completely new to this.

I look forward to getting to know you all,

Laura
4983_124910732048_573057048_2775953_6478796_n.jpg

4983_124910747048_573057048_2775954_2566763_n.jpg

4983_124910767048_573057048_2775955_8093232_n.jpg

4983_124910772048_573057048_2775956_4437968_n.jpg

4983_125943212048_573057048_2798298_3187862_n.jpg

5575_129933392048_573057048_2873746_4632171_n.jpg

Laura, a very warm welcome to TFP!!

This is a GREAT intro post :goodjob:

You know that we're all proud on you for what you've accomplished and the way you've presented it :party:

I sincerely hope that you never have a problem to ask us about, but will post frequently to show us pics and interact with us - you have both the right attitude and the 'way to phrase things' that is such an integral part of this forum :cool: :cheers:

I look forward to hearing more from you!

Good luck in your new location and with the new pool :)

Welcome !
I loved your post as well and I really like the design of your pool complete with happy smiling faces of little ones!

Congrats on finding 'mom & pop' to help you out. I had a 'pop' pool store owner for several years and he and his crew took very good care of me. Those kind of relationships are harder and harder to find nowadays. While I'm not with that store anymore I still have one of his guys that changed companies that is always just a phone call away. Mechanically, I just don't want to deal with it if something goes wrong so I make sure I maintain a good relationship with the service end of the business.

Nobody but me manages my chemicals now though, which should lead to fewer problems mechanically.

Have a fantastic summer!

Welcome to hot and humid Houston and TFP!! It's a city law that you must build a pool....lol. Not really, just helps to fight off the almost unbearable summer heat. Great pool...the kids looks so happy! You'll be in great company here! :party:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Welcome to TFP! :wave:

I lived in Spring for a bit. Be sure and check out Wunsche Bros. Cafe. It's in Old Town Spring. Fun place and very good food.

Beautiful pool by the way. :goodjob:

I think Texas is going to sink with all those pools :mrgreen:
Welcome Laura to TFP :wave: DW's name is Laura :shock:
Hunny what are you doing in Texas :roll: :roll: :cheers: :cheers: