Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hello, my name is lnlharper. Not really, it's Laura

1. Back To Top    #1

Hello, my name is lnlharper. Not really, it's Laura

Hi,

So this is my first post. I am a 39 year old widow with a young son. We are originally from MI but moved to TX after everything happened for the major change (and no memories) it would bring.

I never thought I would own, much less build, a pool. And then I did. We would visit my cousin (lives across the major thoroughfare) and watching the fun that was had in their pool, and not wanting to always use theirs in the 221 degree (okay, I exaggerate a bit sometimes, but only to get a point across) temps here in southern TX, we thought about and then did it. We put in a 15x33 inground, gunite, free design (salt water) with a waterfall and sunbathing bench. And boy it's been fun.

I did the pool school, taking copious notes. How proud can one person be when they make it through the whole summer with smack dab in the middle readings? (yes, I know, it's a salt water pool) With the exception of not realizing those first weeks that they were waiting to put the salt in and we were swimming in fresh water. I also met a great mom and pop pool store owner who helped (and helps) with issues that I have as a new pool owner. I was very frightened, you see, after watching my aunt and uncle struggle with theirs when I was a child in the 70's. It has been easier than I thought (with a few little bumps like not knowing how to backwash my filter and being afraid I'd blow the whole thing up-it's a Jandy never lube and I was afraid to turn it the other way)...because I took them at their word when they said "stay ahead of your water".

The only downside is realizing that in March 75 degrees was too freezing to jump in the pool, when it is perfectly okay to do so in MI.

I have been reading here, and just decided to log in so that I could see everyone's pictures and also tell you what a great job you do in helping those of us out who are completely new to this.

I look forward to getting to know you all,

Laura

16'x24', 14k gal, in-ground vinyl rectangle pool, Hayward S-180T sand filter with 1.5 hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hello, my name is lnlharper. Not really, it's Laura

Welcome to TFP! I always liked the name Laura . . .
    45,180 gallon 26' x 53' IG Vinyl, irregular shape. Hayward sand filter / pump. Polaris AutoClear SWG, supplemented with a Hayward Automatic Chlorinator (In-Line). Hayward 400K BTU heater. Paramount "turnover" system. Polaris 480 PRO cleaner.

3. Back To Top    #3

Laura, a very warm welcome to TFP!!

This is a GREAT intro post

You know that we're all proud on you for what you've accomplished and the way you've presented it

I sincerely hope that you never have a problem to ask us about, but will post frequently to show us pics and interact with us - you have both the right attitude and the 'way to phrase things' that is such an integral part of this forum

I look forward to hearing more from you!

Good luck in your new location and with the new pool
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome !
    I loved your post as well and I really like the design of your pool complete with happy smiling faces of little ones!

Congrats on finding 'mom & pop' to help you out. I had a 'pop' pool store owner for several years and he and his crew took very good care of me. Those kind of relationships are harder and harder to find nowadays. While I'm not with that store anymore I still have one of his guys that changed companies that is always just a phone call away. Mechanically, I just don't want to deal with it if something goes wrong so I make sure I maintain a good relationship with the service end of the business.

Nobody but me manages my chemicals now though, which should lead to fewer problems mechanically.

Have a fantastic summer!
    Backyard pool-less, but used to be.....
    16,100 gallon, 18x38 3.5 ft deep oval AG, Vinyl, Sand, 1hp pump
    http://www.poolservicestech.com Liquidator
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/
    http://www.tftestkits.net TFT100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to the surface of the sun (Texas!)
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to hot and humid Houston and TFP!! It's a city law that you must build a pool....lol. Not really, just helps to fight off the almost unbearable summer heat. Great pool...the kids looks so happy! You'll be in great company here!
    7,000 gal. IG gunite, SWG, PebbleSheen interior finish-Aqua Blue, 8' vanishing edge raised 16-jet overspill spa, 2 12" waterfalls, tan shelf with bubbler.
    Pentair equipment: Easy Touch 8, Intellichlor IC-40, Intelliflo VF 3050, 2.5 hp Whisperflo spa pump, 1 hp Whisperflo water feature pump, Quad 100 DE filter, Master Temp 400 heater, Legend Platinum Cleaner (3/4 hp pump). Autofill, TF-100 Test Kit w/salt and borate strips.

Pisces Pool Build

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Hi Laura,

Another pool in Texas!

Welcome to the forum
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

What part of houston are you in?
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by mynewpool
    What part of houston are you in?
    I'm in Spring, and I see you are too! I absolutely love it here.
    16'x24', 14k gal, in-ground vinyl rectangle pool, Hayward S-180T sand filter with 1.5 hp pump

11. Back To Top    #11

Welcome to TFP!

I lived in Spring for a bit. Be sure and check out Wunsche Bros. Cafe. It's in Old Town Spring. Fun place and very good food.

Beautiful pool by the way.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

12. Back To Top    #12

Didn't see the pictures before - beautiful pool! Kids love them, I can't wait until my 16-month old is tall enough to stand up in the shallow end.
    45,180 gallon 26' x 53' IG Vinyl, irregular shape. Hayward sand filter / pump. Polaris AutoClear SWG, supplemented with a Hayward Automatic Chlorinator (In-Line). Hayward 400K BTU heater. Paramount "turnover" system. Polaris 480 PRO cleaner.

13. Back To Top    #13

Hi Laura, welcome
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

14. Back To Top    #14

Great looking pool. Welcome to TFP.
    Plano, TX
    25,000 Gallons, Plaster, DE Filter, No SWG

15. Back To Top    #15

I think Texas is going to sink with all those pools
    Welcome Laura to TFP DW's name is Laura
    Hunny what are you doing in Texas
    5,775 gal, IG free form, Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish, 2 swim out benches, Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues, StaRite Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter replaced with Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15, Polaris 360, Pentair 300w Light upgraded to Pentair IntelliBrite (OMG what a huge difference) , Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers, solar cover, TF-100 test kit, Pentair Deck Jet, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer (Makes testing a breeze), Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Margarita Concoction Machine,
    Pics of our Spool ( Social Pool) being built Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade