ABOVE GROUND POOL BOTTOM COVE

We have always used sand for our cove in our pools without issues of washout by installing a vapour barrier plastic sheet about 2' up the side of the pool and a 1' bend down the floor then putting the cove on top, however after the winter we had this year with the wind moving the ice around in the pool, it damaged the pool liner right at the cove in so many places we could not even begin to patch it so had to order a new liner. The ice moving on the sand cove (I'm guessing some bits of rock in the sand?) made so many little holes it was tragic. I guess we decided to try the foam this time along with the gorilla pad to hopefully eliminate some of the risk of this happening again. I hope we get better results? I blame a combination of the contractors who delivered the masons sand 5 years ago that was not screened well enough and good old Mother Nature - who just let loose with more than usual Great Plains winds this year.

Just want to thank everyone for all the info. It is all very helpful, especially from pool4me.
Unfortunately, up here in MN, I just need the weather to start to cooperate so I can finish the project.
I will need to post my next question regarding the "BACKFILL" around the pool site.

Just to be accurate. I just wanted to update my previous post a bit.

I didn't mention it, but I am using 2x4x8 concrete blocks under the uprights (I have a 33x15 butress free pool so it has those metal straps connecting the uprights from side to side).

After compacting the sand on top of the gravel it wound up being about an inch (Started out a little over 2" non compacted.

I took a bunch of pics and I'm going to post a build thread. (nothing earth shattering but just incase some others may be interested. At the time I couldn't find anyone who used screenings as a base so I thought I perhaps may help someone else on the forum).

I was actually told to put the Gorilla Pad right on top of the screenings and forget the sand. (and actually, I'm sure that would have worked fine), but I thought the sand just "smoothed the floor" all the better.

The only annoying part of the whole things was:

You can't run the plate compactor over the straps connecting both sides of the pool. (It won't compact and it just vibrates the material all over the place). Not a big deal. I just wet the area a bit an hand tamped the area over the straps..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.