Possibly Algae, hard to get rid of!

May 6, 2010
Hi everyone, I'm new to the site and I have an on-going problem with my pool. When I use my well water to fill the pool, within 24-36 hours I have almost clear, tiny particles that are suspended in the water.

When I use Flock, it'll clump the particles together at the bottom. When I try to suck this stuff up, it breaks apart into very fine pieces and makes the water cloud up. After about an hour or so it settles and I'm back to square one!

I have a sand filter and a DE filter but they do not trap these particles, they get sent back into the pool.

Does anyone have an idea on how to get rid of this stuff?

I think that its a type of algae from the well and when it comes into the pool, it thrives and blossoms for a few hours and then dies (leaving the milky/muddy particles behind).

I've tried using my DE filter and it catches it to a degree but it clogs it up so fast that I end up having to stop every few minutes to backflush.

Please, any help or ideas would be appreciated! Thank you!!

Thank you guys for responding! The tests results on the water came back normal, nothing usual showed up including harmful biological matter so whatever it is, its not harmful. I've tried shock, around 5x the amount needed and it still doesn't help. I know how to kill it...but not how to get the dead particles out of the pool. I believe these particles are too fine for the DE filter, so they must be smaller than at least 3 microns. I've been looking around the net all day today to try and find a reusable cartridge filter that will filter a 1 micron nominal in hopes that it will catch it but I'm not having any luck.

MarylandSwimmer said:
The tests results on the water came back normal, nothing usual showed up including harmful biological matter so whatever it is, its not harmful
Is this test from your fill water or your pool water? What are the details of the test?

In order to help you, we need a full set of test results from your pool water that include:

FC - Free Chlorine
CC - Combined Chlorine
pH -
TA - Total Alkalinity
CH - Calcium Hardness
CYA - Cyanuric Acid (stabilizer)
Borates - (if you are using borates)

Also, how does your water look?

Have you added any sequesterant agents?

We'll help you get your water figured out. Welcome to the forum :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.