Can you use solar panels from different companies to add on?

Jun 11, 2009
Hi Everyone!

Newbie here! Last year we installed a 27' round pool with a single 4x20 Fafco Solar Panel. Not sure what
model it is because the pool guy brought it and took the box. We want to order another since this was not
enough and I'm trying to find out if I can connect another Fafco 4x20 panel as long as I get a connector kit?

In other words, do they all have to be the same model to connect.

I don't want to order the wrong thing because most online places won't let me return it.

Thanks so much! Any help is really appreciated!

There really isn't a significant difference between models in each manufacturer or even from one manufacturer to another unless you go with a completely different type of panel. Back some years ago before re-doing our system, we had panels from two different manufacturers connected (2 of the 2x20 and a 4x20) - no problems.

We found pretty decent prices all over - I like to look for vendors that are Better Business Bureau rated. Most of the places that carry the single 4x20 panels are around $300-$330 when including any shipping/handlng. By the way, the Fafco (Solar Bear) panels have a 2" header.

The biggest issue you may have is if your panels are inground units and you order above ground units or vis-versa. Usually the above ground units have a divider molded into the header so the supply and discharge are on the same header. In ground unit have the supply on one header and discharge on the other. That's what I'd look out for. Almost anything else can be adapted.

Local dealers sold me two Fafco Solar Bear above ground heaters for my in ground installation (4X20 ea). Any problems chaining these two together? Caps on both ends should permit parallel connection. Thanks

I have l fafco Bear and one Sunsetter (believe its manuf. by fafco) My son came over and installed them on a panel he built. The newest panel is on the bottom and it has a springlocated in the middle and a shut off valve. The older cheaper model on top has none. So he plumbed in an "H" connecter at the inlet on the bottom panel with a shut off valve, and then connected the two panels with adapters from the the hardware store at the outlet of the first panel to the inlet of the second panel. The return is at the top on the same side and goes to the pool. My question is...shouldn't the panel connection be at the END of the panels so the water would go in on the inlet of the first panel and then travel up thur the end of the second panel and then go out the outlet of the second panel to the pool return???? Now it looks to me like it has a free flow similtaneouly to the firts and second panel. What would stop the water from going straight up the end pipes that are connected and right out the outlet, bypassing both panels?????

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's hard to tell from your description but it sounds like he paralleled the panels which is the preferred method of installation. If you could post a pic of the panels we could tell if it's hooked up right.

grams place said:
What would stop the water from going straight up the end pipes that are connected and right out the outlet, bypassing both panels?????

Above ground panels that don't have the inline valves on the header have a "stop disc" built into the center of the header so the water goes in the header, then all the way down the panel and is directed back to the main header and out.

IG panels are built differently.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.