Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can you use solar panels from different companies to add on?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can you use solar panels from different companies to add on?

Hi Everyone!

Newbie here! Last year we installed a 27' round pool with a single 4x20 Fafco Solar Panel. Not sure what
    model it is because the pool guy brought it and took the box. We want to order another since this was not
    enough and I'm trying to find out if I can connect another Fafco 4x20 panel as long as I get a connector kit?

In other words, do they all have to be the same model to connect.

I don't want to order the wrong thing because most online places won't let me return it.

Thanks so much! Any help is really appreciated!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can you use solar panels from different companies to add on?

There really isn't a significant difference between models in each manufacturer or even from one manufacturer to another unless you go with a completely different type of panel. Back some years ago before re-doing our system, we had panels from two different manufacturers connected (2 of the 2x20 and a 4x20) - no problems.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you so much! I think I will just order one from Fafco. But since I don't know what model it is I wanted to make sure it would work first.

Anyone recommend a place to purchase?

Thanks so much!

4. Back To Top    #4

Just check to make sure the header size is the same. 1.5" vs 2". Although even if not, you can adapt. Its just easier if they are the same. I think most are 1.5", but I've heard of some being 2".
    25' x 13' Roman, 12000 gal IGP, Plaster, with 500 gal Spa
    SWG, 1 HP Max Flo Pump, C-900 cartridge filter
    Solar heat

5. Back To Top    #5

We found pretty decent prices all over - I like to look for vendors that are Better Business Bureau rated. Most of the places that carry the single 4x20 panels are around $300-$330 when including any shipping/handlng. By the way, the Fafco (Solar Bear) panels have a 2" header.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -

6. Back To Top    #6

i purchase the fafco 4 x 20 off of ebay.
    I received it about 4 days later.

Think i payed about $210 shipped but i used bing's cash back program and got 8% rebate on the buy it know price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0480330945
    K HOLMES

23 X 45 GUNNITE
    OWNER/BUILDER

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you all so much! Hanau: This is exactly where I think I'll get them from. Glad to hear that this was where you
    got them.

8. Back To Top    #8

The biggest issue you may have is if your panels are inground units and you order above ground units or vis-versa. Usually the above ground units have a divider molded into the header so the supply and discharge are on the same header. In ground unit have the supply on one header and discharge on the other. That's what I'd look out for. Almost anything else can be adapted.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Local dealers sold me two Fafco Solar Bear above ground heaters for my in ground installation (4X20 ea). Any problems chaining these two together? Caps on both ends should permit parallel connection. Thanks
    20X40 IG 33K Gallons

10. Back To Top    #10

I have l fafco Bear and one Sunsetter (believe its manuf. by fafco) My son came over and installed them on a panel he built. The newest panel is on the bottom and it has a springlocated in the middle and a shut off valve. The older cheaper model on top has none. So he plumbed in an "H" connecter at the inlet on the bottom panel with a shut off valve, and then connected the two panels with adapters from the the hardware store at the outlet of the first panel to the inlet of the second panel. The return is at the top on the same side and goes to the pool. My question is...shouldn't the panel connection be at the END of the panels so the water would go in on the inlet of the first panel and then travel up thur the end of the second panel and then go out the outlet of the second panel to the pool return???? Now it looks to me like it has a free flow similtaneouly to the firts and second panel. What would stop the water from going straight up the end pipes that are connected and right out the outlet, bypassing both panels?????
    28' 52' round ag sta-rite pump 1.5 hp, sta rite filter 150 sq ft.

11. Back To Top    #11

It's hard to tell from your description but it sounds like he paralleled the panels which is the preferred method of installation. If you could post a pic of the panels we could tell if it's hooked up right.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

I took pics but when I tried to upload just one of them it came back the file is too big...?????

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by grams place
    What would stop the water from going straight up the end pipes that are connected and right out the outlet, bypassing both panels?????
    Above ground panels that don't have the inline valves on the header have a "stop disc" built into the center of the header so the water goes in the header, then all the way down the panel and is directed back to the main header and out.

IG panels are built differently.

14. Back To Top    #14

I tried to send my pics to an outsource place, couldn't get it to work. Could I just email my pics to you? I too have a rover Jr. what do you mean when you say you hard plumbed it?