Help please!

Aug 20, 2009
OHATCHEE, AL
Help please!

We were uncovering the pool a week ago, water was clear (dead alge on the bottom), corner of the cover sliped into the pool putting in some leaves and crud, fished the debris from the bottom, (lokks like swamp now), hooked up new sand filter w/new sand, filtering swamp water, clean skimmer basket and backwash daily. Took water to be tested today, readings are as follows:

fc 0.2 ppm
tc 0.2 ppm
cc 0.0 ppm
ph 7.9
hardness 130 ppm
alkalinity 40 ppm
ca 10 ppm
copper 0.14 ppm
iron not run
total dissolved solids not run
phosphate 0.00

Not sure what my next move is? What do I do next.? Thanks deb

Your alkalinity (TA) is too low. You should raise it up to about 70 and then lower your PH to around 7.4-7.5 before dealing with the swamp. Also, does CA mean calcium (CH) or cyanuric acid (CYA)? You want CYA to be around 30 to 50. CH can stay where it is for now.

Next, raise the FC (chlorine) level to shock level for your CYA level. If CA isn't CYA, you will need to get your CYA level tested.

JasonLion said:
Your alkalinity (TA) is too low. You should raise it up to about 70 and then lower your PH to around 7.4-7.5 before dealing with the swamp. Also, does CA mean calcium (CH) or cyanuric acid (CYA)? You want CYA to be around 30 to 50. CH can stay where it is for now.

Next, raise the FC (chlorine) level to shock level for your CYA level. If CA isn't CYA, you will need to get your CYA level tested.

First, you need baking soda to raise your TA to about 70 .

Second, lower your pH with muriatic acid to 7.5-ish.

Third, if your CYA level is really 10, raise it to 30. (You can raise it to 50 later (if you want) AFTER you are done shocking.)

Fourth, shock your pool. Use liquid chlorine or bleach. See "How to Shock Your Pool" in Pool School.

As FPM said, if you have problems with the Pool Calculator (link in my sig) please let us know.

If you do not have a good test kit, do yourself a big favor and get one! See Test Kits Compared in Pool School.
Many of us use the TF100 and love it! Link in my sig. You will save $$ and take control of your pool.

Post back any question you have and someone will be around to help. :-D

I had figured out that I needed the baking soda to raise the TA & the MA to lower the PH but couldnt get the pool calculator to work. It had said to enter info in the orange area, the only orange area on my screen is where you put the pool gallons?? If you wouldnt mind please tell me the quanity of each I need to ad.

Right now I only have the Walmart 6 way test kit. I need to get me one of those you suggest but right now money is too tight and I cant afford it. I took my water sample to the pool store for these readings, also that reading of 10 way CYA.

Thank all of you that help on here. Hopefully I will learn.

"Yes I am Blonde":}

Debra, I am blonde too. That shouldn't stop you :) :whip:

I entered your numbers into the Pool Calc:

debrapons.jpg

You need to do it do so you can get the hang of it. It should look like the photo above.

Enter your test results in the "now" column and enter your goals in the "target" column. Hit calculate. Then move your cursor over the boxes that have the results in them and it tells you in the large rectangle box at the top how many cups, jugs etc.

Please give it a try - you will get the hang of it I promise. :goodjob:

from the pool caculator i got the above info (or at least with what i put in the pool cal. this is what i understand what i need to add to the pool), if that is the correct amount then when do i need to test again and start adding bleach? thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
we decided to just drain the pool. we will start refilling tomarrow. what will we need to put in the water after we refill the pool? do i need to test and get you the readings & go from there? a pool guy came by my house about a new salt water generator i am selling and he told me it would be the easiest and cheapest way to go in the long run. started draining about 2 today it's 5:30 now & the shallow end is empty, steps showing. thanks for any advice.

STOP DRAINING!

Draining and refilling an in-ground vinyl liner can easily damage or destroy the liner. Unless there is something major you haven't mentioned, there isn't anything to be gained by draining and refilling, even if there wasn't any risk to the liner.

Last summer I spent over $500.00 trying to clear up the pool and was never able to get it clear. I am hoping there is no damage to the liner, it is looking really good so far. Got all the old water out by midnight Friday night, then started running the hose immediatly, been on all night and day today, water is about 4" from the bottom of the steps. The pool guy said it would be cheaper than the chemicals I would have to use and there would be no guarantee?? Sorry I didnt check here again last night but it was already too late. deb:{

Debra, I understand why you spent $500 - I read your thread from last year. You were following the advice of the pool store.

If you follow our methods, learn to use the pool calculator, take our advice and do as instructed, you won't ever spend that much again.

But you have to learn to use the pool calculator, you have to keep reading the information in Pool School and putting it into practice - that's how you will come to understand everything.

Our methods work - thousands can attest to that. The number one thing you need, is POP. Pool Owner Patience. Don't give in to pressure to use pool store chems or drain your pool...follow our methods, have the patience to let it work.... because it does work, and for a lot less money and it works alot better too.

Ditto what FPM said :goodjob:

When your pool is full, post a full set of test results so we can help you balance your new water :-D

Debra, once you get your pool balanced, it is very easy to keep it that way.
When you read about the BBB method taking 5 minutes a day, we are serious.

Example: For MY pool, I add a small jug of bleach (96ozs) each evening.
Then about once a week I add 1 or 2 cups of MA. That's it!
It really is that simple and inexpensive.

And don't let the Pool Calculator worry you. You can learn it and we will help.

We understand that it can seem overwhelming, but we have lots of folks here willing and able to help you. :)

Thank all of you:}

The pool is full (took forever), I will get a sample and post the readings. I dont have the good pool kit yet, have to wait until I get paid this week to order it.

There is a small bit of debris in the deep end, we tried to hook up the creepy crawly but when we hook the hose into the skimmer the pressure goes to 0 on my new filter and wont pickup suction, any suggestions? thanks!!!:}

DEBRAPONS said:
There is a small bit of debris in the deep end, we tried to hook up the creepy crawly but when we hook the hose into the skimmer the pressure goes to 0 on my new filter and wont pickup suction, any suggestions? thanks!!!:}

Fill the hose with water before connecting it to the skimmer.

still having the problem with the filter and trying to vacum. (please advise)???

just had the new water tested:

free chlorine 0.0
total chlorine 0.0
combined chlorine 0.0
ph 7.6
hardness 110
alkalinity 110
cyanuric acid 5
copper 0

I am going to try the pool caculator to see what I come up with and check back and see what you say to see if I am learning anything or not??

thanks deb:}

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.