So BBBers, how long since you've shocked?

Melt In The Sun

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
So, how long has it been since your pool has needed shocking? I bet it's been a llloooonnng time for some of you old-timers. For me, I've owned a pool for 7 1/2 months and haven't needed to shock yet.
This is more to satisfy my curiosity than anything, but it could actually help someone if they don't quite trust BBB. It works! :hammer: :cheers:

Umm...about a month ago. :oops:

My fault. I let the chlorine go to zero. Too much on my plate at the time but really, I'm just making up excuses for myself.

in last 4 years I shocked at closing and sometimes at opening and usually ad CL at the first thaw That is it. Also I keep my TA at 60 and check PH and CL daily I have used 4 cups of acid in the last 4 years and no polyquat at closing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Shocking now. According to records I'd only tested the pool 4 times since November. I'd been adding bleach when I thought about it but not the 2 jugs a week that I know it typically needs. Then it got HOT and I was not thinking about the pool, doing irrigation repairs and planting stuff. FC fell to 0 and then I noticed a smear of algae in the hot tub. So, got out the full test kit and checked the numbers. Pool still looks good, just not sparkly enough for me. So, clean the filter carts and up the FC for a few days. Clear blue pool got a touch of cloudyness with all the Cal-Hypo and came close to holding overnight but not quite. So one more day and night. And I NEED to put this on my calendar reminder.

Wow, you guys are a bunch of showoffs! :mrgreen: J/K

I'm joining the anona and 257 club :lol:

Okay, we shocked our pool the first week of April, 2010.

Took two days to go from green to beautiful sparkly blue :-D

ETA: Even a BBB pool can turn green if you ignore it for several months.

No cover; open year round; tons of blowing large and small debris and high winds year round. Switched to BBB late last summer. Haven't had to shock since then. For several months during winter and into early spring I didn't have the main pump and filter running but kept water circulating with two small submersible pumps and added Slime Bags for fine filtering to the hose ends when it started warming up and waiting to get my new filter and pump in. Still didn't need shocking as kept chems balanced all winter; mainly addition of 6% bleach every few days. Also ran Aquabot (operates independently of pool system) cleaner during that time that kept most of the large organics from woods (year round here from blowing winds) from staying in pool for any length of time. Aquabot kept a lot of water circulating too and fine particle filtering; about 4K gallon per hour.

Keeping the water moving is vital if pool isn't closed and covered, especially in warmer climates.

BBB :whoot: :party:

gg=alice

It has been about 22 months since I had to shock. We went on vacation for four days without a pool sitter, there was an especially windy day while we were away, the skimmer got blocked with leaves, the automatic prime protection shut off the pump/SWG to protect the pump, and we came home to a wonderful green pool. We don't have a main drain. If we did, things would have been fine even with the leaves. Last summer we were away for at least that long several times without problems.

JasonLion said:
It has been about 22 months since I had to shock. We went on vacation for four days without a pool sitter, there was an especially windy day while we were away, the skimmer got blocked with leaves, the automatic prime protection shut off the pump/SWG to protect the pump, and we came home to a wonderful green pool. We don't have a main drain. If we did, things would have been fine even with the leaves.

Bummer but good lesson to be learned for all of us.

Perfect example of what can happen in just a few days without moving water and adequate sanitizer. That's one reason I'm such an advocate of small inexpensive submersible pumps to keep water, at the very least, moving. About the only thing that can go wrong is lack of electricity.

I have to have a doggie sitter when we are gone for more than 12 hours so we get a built in pool sitter in the deal. This last "vacation", almost 9 days, last month, doggie sitter was in tears trying to keep the debris out of skimmer and Pool Skim, and managing the Aquabot.(She didn't tell me, rather DH found out when he called her to check on things.) AND the pool was PERFECT when we returned. :goodjob: :goodjob:

If I didn't have to have a doggie sitter I would shut the system down, throw in the two submersible pumps, for circulation, and put a couple of floaters in with TriChlor. Neighbor would come over to put more tabs in floaters an/or bleach, if needed. If the CYA went up just a little that's easy to deal with; one backwash would take care of that. But it wouldn't go up that much in a week or even two. A couple of days of running a cleaner and pool would be clean again. That's if it's summer when we have less plant debris blowing in. :wink:

gg=alice

I am glad you asked that question because I am new to the BBB method, which by the way is working out great for me, and I was wondering when to shock. My water has been crystal clear so I am guessing from other replies that if you keep up with the daily/weekly checks, no need to shock the pool. I was using Pristine Blue for the last 8 years and was looking for other options when I stumbled upon this website. The water has never looked so good!

Thanks,

Alan

My pool has been in service for 2 years now. The only time I've ever had to shock is when I went offshore for a few weeks and a power surge shut my SWCG off for some reason. There's no need to shock a pool if you keep up with the chemistry. The pool stores will tell you different...

Jim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.