Timers & SWGs

Using a saltwater genereator- What hours would you run your pump & SWG?

• Total voters

JeffPenn

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 11, 2007
Springfield IL
I have question- When using a SWG and a timer- Is it best to run the pump and SWG during daylight or evening hours. I was thinking of running during the evening 8pm to 8am to start off. This way chlorine is increased and held constant better than when the sun is out. Is my thinking "correct" Your opinions matter and I appreciate them. Best Regards

I would run it during the day. This way chlorine is constantly being introduced into the pool during the time of greatest chlorine demand, which is one of the big pluses of a SWG. The FC level in your pool is determined by not only on the generator output percentage but on the number of hours the pump is run so both have to be taken into consideration. If you are going to do a 12 hour pump run time you will need a lower output percentage than if you are using a shorter pump run time to achieve the same FC level in the pool.

I've always advocated running the system when people are using the pool - especially when you have a chlorine feeder. However, I also can readily see the logic in adding cl when the sun isn't going to consume a percentage of it - more bang for your cl $. As such, I'd split the 12 hr run time - 8 hrs in the day when the sun is beating down and folks are swimming, and 4 hrs in the dark of night when the cl can really get in there and do it's killing.

Just my $.02

I run mine from 6am to 6pm for the reasons Waterbear stated, as well as wanting the pump and filter running while we're swimming. That way, any little critters e.g. bugs that fall in the pool while we're swimming can get coaxed over to the skimmer, and besides, it seems like 95% of the stuff that gets blown in my pool gets blown in during the daytime hours, so that's when I'd want my skimmer running.

Just my .02.

We run the pump 11am-8:30pm (SWG now runs 11:30-4:30) - our cover is on most of the day unless somene is in the pool so the sun does not consume so much of the FC

what about the pool temps.... i was thinking about turning off the pumps during part of the day and making up the time in the evening running the waterfall some to let the cooler evening air cool the water. i've done it in the past and it works but I don't want to run the pumps all night and day....

sredish said:
what about the pool temps.... i was thinking about turning off the pumps during part of the day and making up the time in the evening running the waterfall some to let the cooler evening air cool the water. i've done it in the past and it works but I don't want to run the pumps all night and day....

Something to keep in mind: water features like water falls, fountains etc help chlorine to evaporate quicker. So if you have them your chlorine demand will be higher.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.