Intelliflo VS-3050 not starting on power-up

dlc68

May 5, 2010
Hi everybody,

I've been reading a lot here, but haven't found the answer to this. I recently replaced my old single-speed 1.5 HP pump with an IntelliFlo VS-3050. I wired it to my old mechanical time clock until I can afford a controller. It works fine, except for one thing: When the clock applies power in the morning, the pump turns on, but it doesn't start moving water until I hit the Start button. The manual says on page 22:
IntelliFlo can be operated in "stand-alone" mode, starting and stopping when power is applied or removed. When the drive powers up it will return to the mode and run status that it was in when the power was removed. This setup may be appropriate if you need to use existing relays or timers.
Mine doesn't seem to be doing that. Any idea what I'm doing wrong then? Interestingly, the pump behaves as-advertised if I remove power while running and then re-apply power soon afterwards. The problem exists if it sits disconnected overnight (from 8 pm to 8 am).

Thanks!

Dan

I can't answer your question directly, but thought I would share how my system works which might give you an idea of what's going on. I also have a VS-3050 but mine is controlled with an EasyTouch. On the EasyTouch, I can select a couple of modes, Auto, Service, or Timeout. In Auto mode, the EasyTouch controls the Intelliflo pump and turns it on and off. In Service mode, I have to start and stop the Intelliflo at the pump controller itself.

What's interesting is that when my equipment was originally installed, I could use the Easy Touch to start and stop the pump even in service mode. A Pentair rep came out and said that the Intelliflo was not wired correctly and redid it. Since then I have to manually start the pump when in manual mode. There was obviously something different about how they were connected. It makes me think that you could potentially change the way it is wired to control it with your mechanical clock.

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure how many ways you can wire two hot leads, however. Perhaps your Pentair rep rewired the control portion? I don't have that.

Just another data-point: I found out today, my pump actually starts up in the morning, but stops after a minute or so with no error lights. Once I press Start, it runs fine.

I have a warranty call with Pentair and they're going to come out and check it. I'll update here if I get some solid info.

Hello DLC68. I am glad I found this forum. I just finished installing my VS-3050 and I have had the exact same problem. Did you find out anything? Please post as soon as you can. Kevin

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.