Replacing water due to high CYA

Thinkly

Oct 12, 2009
Overland Park, KS
I am presently alternating draining/filling to get my pool to a good cya level. So far this season my readings have continued to be higher than the TF100 test tube reads despite the fact that my pool store says my cya is 50 ppm. Unfortunately i have spent the last few weeks tackling pH and TA issues and now am afraid everything has to start over.

I'm also sure i will lose my 50 ppm Borate level and will have to start that over as well. So now for the questions....

When do i know when to stop draining/refilling? The calculator suggested i drain 60% of my water and i can guestimate that i suppose. From there should i just run the filter for a day or two and then test? Do i need to shock since there is new water? I really hate to have to start putting more acid, bleach, borax in and then find out i need more draining.

Maybe the choice is clear....run everything for a few days and then start testing??

You only need to run the pump for a couple of hours after adding fresh water before you can test levels.

Figuring out 60% water replacement does require some guessing.

You won't need to shock as long as the FC level doesn't fall to zero.

JasonLion said:
You only need to run the pump for a couple of hours after adding fresh water before you can test levels.

Figuring out 60% water replacement does require some guessing.

You won't need to shock as long as the FC level doesn't fall to zero.

My well puts out 20 gallons per minute. So it seems to me that to add 5400 gallons which the calculator said needed to be replaced, it would take 270 minutes. I guess that is as good a guess as any.

Well based on my estimates I drained around 5000 gallons of water and replenished. I ran the filter for an hour and retested. Initial results aren't impressive.

FC 5.5
TC 5
CC 0
pH 6.8
TA 330
CYA 80-100 depending on where i hold the test tube. Somewhat subjective...."is that the dot, yeah i think it is....er maybe not."

I will let things run a bit and then retest but my initial concern is how to I get my TA back down without lowering my pH even further? I still need to test for borates also.

areate first then begin the acid additions. For the TA test, are you wiping the tip of the dropper bottle in between drops with a damp cloth?

Can you do another partial drain and refill to lower the CYA a bit more...?

There are verified reports that static electricity causes the drops for the TA test to come out in irregular sized drops - causing the TA results to read higher than they really are - if you wipe the tip of the R-009 in between drops it should change your result.

frustratedpoolmom said:
There are verified reports that static electricity causes the drops for the TA test to come out in irregular sized drops - causing the TA results to read higher than they really are - if you wipe the tip of the R-009 in between drops it should change your result.

Thanks. Upon retesting using that method it did give me a different reading of 220. And the drops were visibly larger.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.